David Arquette on 'Oprah': Sincere But Still Confused
By Jo Piazza Posted Feb 25th 2011 05:20PM
In his first sit-down interview since leaving rehab, David Arquette revealed some doozies to Oprah, among them that he suspected his currently estranged wife Courtney Cox strayed during their marriage and that he felt dwarfed by her success. The actor also delved into his past history with alcohol and denied that he ever cheated on Cox.
Our body language expert chronicled Arquette's every move and he tells us that the actor meant what he said, but that he remains a very confused man.
"Overall, I'd say that he was sincere about what he was saying, but is still in a slightly confused place in his life, really trying hard to process it all, deal with his emotions and addictions, and do what he thinks is right regarding his family. There is some inner conflict present, and he has his work cut out for him, for sure," says body language expert Vincent Harris, author of 'The Productivity Epiphany.'
When David talked about how his wife told him she was unhappy in their marriage and that she was sick of having to play the part of his mother, he flashed a micro-expression of sadness.
"This is very hard to fake. One aspect of this expression involved simultaneously pulling the eyebrows together, and upward," Harris says.
Later, when he addressed how he began to believe tabloid reports that Courtney was having an affair, David said "That made me angry!"
But Harris says. the expression David actually showed was one of disgust.
"This involves a 'crinkling' of the nose and flaring of the nostrils, much like you might see if someone had smelled some pungent aroma. We can't know if his disgust is about the tabloids, or about Courtney, but he certainly is disgusted about something when he recalls the rumors of her cheating," Harris says.
When Oprah asked David if he regretted calling into Howard Stern's show drunk, he told her he didn't regret it.
"As he said this, he was shaking his head 'no' ever so slightly, hinting at an incongruence between what he felt, and what he said," Harris says.
And when Oprah pulled out the big money question, will David and Courtney reconcile, the actor showed his confusion.
"Arquette starts saying 'Uhh...' It was this 'non-word' utterance on which his voice cracked, revealing a powerful emotion had been triggered by that question," Harris says.
But at the end of the show, when Oprah did what she does best and leaned in a little to ask David if he felt good about what he said, he was sincerely happy.
"His smile was sincere; the muscles around his eyes (orbicularis occuli and zygomatic major) were contracted. When someone smiles without the 'crow's feet' at the corners of their eyes (caused by the contraction of those muscles) their smile is forced, and does not signal true joy. Arquette's smile did; he was happy about what he said," Harris says.
MORE ABOUT David Arquette
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about David Arquette Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Angelina Jolie Steps Out After Wedding, Melissa Rivers on Joan Rivers: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Bill Murray Tears Tickets at St. Paul Saints Independent League Baseball Game, Catches First Pitch: Watch!
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jennifer Aniston Wasn't Mad About Friends Reunion, That's Acting
- Rehab Vet Farrah Abraham Says ?I Have Faith In' Amber Portwood's Sobriety: ?Teen Mom' Frenemies No More
- Moving Trucks Spotted Outside Mariah Carey's Apartment Building ? Is This Really The End Of Her Marriage To Nick Cannon?
- Tony Stewart Speaks Out On Killing Fellow NASCAR Driver Kevin Ward Jr. —‘It Will Affect My Life Forever’
- Ferguson shooting: Hip-hop moves as strong force for Michael Brown
- Comedian Tracy Morgan still struggling after crash
- Joan Rivers' condition 'remains serious,' daughter says
- Kate Mara and Max Minghella Split Up After 4 Years of Dating
- OMG! Giuliana & Bill Rancic Share Adorable Exclusive Photos of Son Duke on His 2nd Birthday—He's Gotten So Big!
- See Photos of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt on Their Wedding Day and Looking Gorgeous... in Mr. & Mrs. Smith!