Billy Crystal Returns to the Oscars Stage
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 27th 2011 10:37PM
"So where was I," Crystal joked when hitting the stage. "Some things never change. The producers have asked me to tell you we are running a little long, so here are the nominees for Best Picture."
"The first televised Oscars was in 1953. I was five years old so for those of you who stink in math I'm 47. The host that year was Bob Hope. He hosted it 18 times. I hosted it eight, and I was pooped after two. Bob was the Oscars. He was funny, he was classy and he was what I think the Oscar host must be: a sexy movie star."
"I never worked with Bob Hope, I never met him, but one night we had a great moment together here on the stage of the Academy Awards," Crystal remembered. "Bob was sitting [there] and it made me a little jittery that he was in the audience. So I thought of a good, strong joke and I found myself looking at Bob Hope's face. And the camera was on him and he laughed and applauded and I introduced him and he blew me a kiss and gave me an affectionate little wave, and it meant the world to me," Crystal remembered. "And when the camera went away, he flipped me off. So I guess you could say we worked together."
2011 Oscars Red Carpet Photos
Actress Natalie Portman arrives before the 83rd Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 27, 2011, in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Editor says Gabriel Garcia Marquez left unpublished manuscript
- Letterman welcomes successor Colbert for first time since announcing retirement
- Christian band MercyMe opens up about abuse, God and new album
- Cannes: European Film Promotion Names 'Producers on the Move'
- Chinese Director to Oliver Stone: Mind Your Own Business
- John Oliver Celebrates His THR Cover With Jimmy Fallon
- ?Supernatural' recap: Killing things that need killing
- ?Agents of SHIELD' react: A little night music
- ?Mindy Project' recap: An officer and a gynecologist
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief
- Actor Daniel Franzese Writes Amazing, 'Mean Girls'-Themed Coming Out Letter
- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler's 'The Nest' Has Some Stiff Competition