Lady Gaga Debuts 'Born This Way' Video
The clip, directed by fashion photographer Nick Knight in collaboration with the Haus of Gaga creative team and choreographer Laurieann Gibson, continues the rebirth theme the enigmatic pop star has been pushing since emerging from an egg-like vessel to perform the track at this year's Grammys.
"This is the manifesto of Mother Monster," Gaga says, setting up the effects-heavy video. "Thus began the beginning of the new race. A race within the race of humanity, a race which bears no prejudice, no judgment, but boundless freedom."
Check out the 'Born This Way' video after the jump.
'Born This Way' debuted on Feb. 11, and after just three days of release the track shattered iTunes sales records and became the 1,000th song to top the Billboard singles chart. At radio, 'Born This Way' was picked up more than any debuting title in the chart's 18-year history, according to Nielsen BDS, and has gone on to sell over a million digital downloads.
Despite its success, the song has not been without controversy. Reviews for the single have been mostly positive, but both critics and fans have noted that 'Born This Way' bears a strong resemblance to Madonna's 1989 empowerment anthem 'Express Yourself.'
Gaga appeared on 'The Tonight Show' the day after her high energy performance at the 53rd Grammy Awards, where she won three prizes including Best Pop Vocal Album, and told Jay Leno that Madonna and her team e-mailed her to voice their support for the single; however, Her Madgesty's publicist said she was unaware of any such e-mail. While Madonna herself has not spoken publicly about the controversy, she was reportedly in the audience at Gaga's sold-out Monster Ball show at New York's Madison Square Garden on Feb. 21.
Gaga recently announced on 'The Gayle King Show' that she will release a second video to accompany a stripped-down version of 'Born This Way,' with proceeds from the release going to an anti-bullying charity.
► Those Strings Sound Awfully Familiar Does the intro to 'Born This Way' sound familar to you film buffs? That's not a surprise. Gaga's new video uses the title theme from Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 classic 'Vertigo,' composed by Hollywood legend Bernard Herrmann. Herrmann was also the man behind the scores for 'Cape Fear,' 'Psycho' and 'Taxi Driver.'
► See Five 'Born This Way' YouTube Covers That Stun Us
► Paul McCartney and Michelle Pfeiffer Put Their Paws Up For Lady Gaga at Monster Ball
► Akon Praises Gaga's 'Born This Way' Writing: 'She's Not Just Making Dance Records'
MORE ABOUT Lady Gaga
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Lady Gaga Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- North Carolina film incentives chopped
- Lauren Bacall leaves $10,000 for her beloved dog in will
- Pam Anderson criticizes ALS ice bucket challenge
- Tina Fey answers Kermit the Frog's ice bucket challenge?kind of
- Watch the first 5 minutes of Lifetime's ?Unauthorized Saved by the Bell' movie
- More adult women play video games than teen boys ? will the industry act accordingly?
- Fact or Fiction? Gossip Cop Breaks Down Rumors on Brangelina, Tom Hanks and More!
- It's a Girl for Stacy Keibler!
- Why Is NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson Driving Onto a High School Football Field?
- Wiz Khalifa California Concert: Man Shot and Killed Backstage During Performance
- Nicki Minaj's Backup Dancer Gets Bitten By Boa Constrictor Snake During VMAs Rehearsal
- Jonathan Lipnicki of Jerry Maguire Fame Stars in Hilarious "You Used to Be Cute" Child Star Sketch