Playboy Mansion Partiers May Have Caught Disease
By Zach Dionne Posted Mar 1st 2011 10:55AM
After a recent fundraiser at the Playboy Mansion left attendees sick, Los Angeles County public health officials investigated and found the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease in a water source.
The LA Times reports that Dr. Jonathan Fielding, director of the county Department of Public Health, said other bacteria and viruses are still being investigated, as Legionella bacteria are "commonly found in moist environments." Hmm, like the Playboy Mansion's infamous grotto (picture above, right), maybe?
Health officials suspect Legionella bacteria, which causes Legionnaires' disease, an affliction causing respiratory illness, fever and chills.
After a Feb. 1-3 conference for DomainFest concluding with a Playboy Mansion fundraiser, numerous people fell ill.
DomainFest sent out a statement yesterday urging anyone who attended the event to "fill out a confidential survey to assist health officials with their investigation," the Times reports.
According to the Center for Disease Control, healthy people typically recover from Legionnaires' disease, treatable by antibiotics, but it's possible for death to befall 5 percent to 30 percent of those infected. Roughly 8,000 - 18,000 people are hospitalized with Legionnaires' disease annually in the U.S.
Legionnaires' disease gets its name from a 1976 American Legion convention in Philadelphia, when a group of attendees (sound familiar?) contracted the illness. Media dubbed it the "Philly Killer" at the time, according to Science Clarified.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Christmas Jammies Family Makes Back-to-School "Baby Got Class" Parody: Watch Now!
- Chris Burke Reflects on Corky Character, Life Goes On, Down Syndrome on Upcoming Oprah: Where Are They Now? Episode
- Are You Ready For This? Sam Smith, Beyonce, Usher & Rita Ora Stun In VMA Rehearsals ? Sneak Peek Photo Special
- Outrage Over Woman Whose Dog Ate Marijuana ? PETA Calls It ‘A Stupid Thing’ To Do, Warns Of Potential Prosecution For Animal Abuse
- Is Cameron Diaz ready to marry rocker Benji Madden?
- Boa Constrictor bites Nicki Minaj's backup dancer
- Lennon's killer, Mark David Chapman denied parole
- Alexander Skarsgård Talks True Blood, The Giver, Taylor Swift and Those Pesky Katie Holmes Rumor
- Modern Family's Julie Bowen Remembers the Time Her Kid Threw Up on Her Emmys Dress (No Joke!)
- Kim Kardashian Ignores Buttons, Lets Cleavage Bust Out on Trip to San Diego—and See North Feed a Giraffe at the Zoo: Cute Pics!