Playboy Mansion Partiers May Have Caught Disease
By Zach Dionne Posted Mar 1st 2011 10:55AM
After a recent fundraiser at the Playboy Mansion left attendees sick, Los Angeles County public health officials investigated and found the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease in a water source.
The LA Times reports that Dr. Jonathan Fielding, director of the county Department of Public Health, said other bacteria and viruses are still being investigated, as Legionella bacteria are "commonly found in moist environments." Hmm, like the Playboy Mansion's infamous grotto (picture above, right), maybe?
Health officials suspect Legionella bacteria, which causes Legionnaires' disease, an affliction causing respiratory illness, fever and chills.
After a Feb. 1-3 conference for DomainFest concluding with a Playboy Mansion fundraiser, numerous people fell ill.
DomainFest sent out a statement yesterday urging anyone who attended the event to "fill out a confidential survey to assist health officials with their investigation," the Times reports.
According to the Center for Disease Control, healthy people typically recover from Legionnaires' disease, treatable by antibiotics, but it's possible for death to befall 5 percent to 30 percent of those infected. Roughly 8,000 - 18,000 people are hospitalized with Legionnaires' disease annually in the U.S.
Legionnaires' disease gets its name from a 1976 American Legion convention in Philadelphia, when a group of attendees (sound familiar?) contracted the illness. Media dubbed it the "Philly Killer" at the time, according to Science Clarified.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Carrie Underwood is Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Mike Fisher!
- Melissa Rivers Releases New Statement on Mom Joan River's Condition; Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leaked: Top Weekend Stories
- Joan Rivers Being Taken Out of Coma: Details
- FBI, Apple begin inquiries into nude celebrity photo leaks
- Carrie Underwood announces she is pregnant with her first child
- Alec Baldwin avoids arrest after scuffle with photographer
- Kim Kardashian Posts Stunning New Wedding Picture With Kanye West—Take a Look!
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's First Wedding Photos Revealed—See the Bride's Gorgeous Dress
- Robin Williams' Daughter, Zelda Williams, Returns to Twitter After Being Taunted Online