James Franco Goes After Critical Fellow Yale Student
By Rob Shuter Posted Mar 3rd 2011 09:20AM
James Franco, who joined Twitter just two weeks ago to help promote the Oscars, is now using the site to defend himself against haters -- namely a fellow student at Yale -- who skewered him not for his maligned performance on Sunday, but for his style of tweeting.
"James Franco, your Twitter sort of sucks," Yale Daily News writer Cokey Cohen posted Saturday. In her article, Cohen argued that the actor should do more than post "random links to pictures and replies to celebrities." The writer suggested James be more "pithy" like Kanye West.
The critically acclaimed star of '127 Hours' has so far been silent on criticism he was sluggish or perhaps even stoned during the Oscars on Sunday. He also hasn't commented on reports that he and co-host Anne Hathaway grew to hate each other. (They looked chummy backstage!) But on Tuesday, James posted an image of himself overlaid with the words "F**K THE YALE DAILY NEWS" in red capital letters.
Cohen told The New Haven Register that her critical blogs of the star's posts were "tongue-in-cheek" and that they were supposed to be all in good fun. She says she's actually a big fan of the actor.
"It's funny how James couldn't really care less about what anyone had to say about his performance, but went crazy after a writer at his campus newspaper criticized his Twitter page," a friend of the star tells me.
I'm told that James had simply "had enough," that it's one thing to be called one of the worst Oscar hosts in history but another to get a lesson from a fellow student on how to conduct himself online.
In case you were wondering, James is pursuing a doctorate in English at the Ivy League school.
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- WTF -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT James Franco
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about James Franco Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jennifer Lawrence blasts story of on-set fight
- Jennifer Lawrence reportedly has meltdown on set of David O. Russell movie
- Rosie O'Donnell files for divorce from wife Michelle Rounds
- 'SNL': Dakota Johnson Mocks 'Fifty Shades,' Pays Tribute to Leonard Nimoy (Video)
- Richard Bakalyan, Tough Guy Character Actor and a Cop in 'Chinatown,' Dies at 84
- 'SNL': Rudy Giuliani Becomes Birdman in Cold Open
- 'Supergirl' Snags Dean Cain & Helen Slater For 'Mystery Roles'
- Check Out Two New Clips From 'Game of Thrones' (VIDEO)
- 'Boardwalk Empire's Jack Huston Could Be Our New 'Crow'