Days After Firing John Galliano, Dior Salutes Talented Workers Behind the Designs
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Mar 5th 2011 12:41PM
The collection turned out to be the designer's last for the iconic French label, after his recent public anti-Semitic rant (slammed by Natalie Portman a day after she won an Oscar). Amid an international uproar, the designer was dismissed by the label this week.
But the Dior show did go on, albeit with non-traditional twists.
Instead of a Fashion Week finale which would normally feature Galliano strutting down the runway, Dior brought out the atelier's huge army of master crafters -- dozens of seamstresses and pattern makers -- who crowded the stage in their white work coats as if to point out that one famous designer hardly builds a beautiful collection by himself.
And before a model even took her first step, a much more direct acknowledgement of Dior's leadership crisis opened the show. According to the New York Times, Dior's CEO Sidney Toledano, addressing the audience in French, read solemnly from a written statement that omitted Galliano's name while condemning his behavior.
"Since its founding by Monsieur Dior, the House of Christian Dior has lived an extraordinary and wonderful story and has had the honor of embodying France's image, and its values, all around the world," he said.
"What has happened over the last week has been a terrible and wrenching ordeal to us all. It has been deeply painful to see the Dior name associated with the disgraceful statements attributed to its designer, however brilliant he may be."
Toledano continued, "Such statements are intolerable because of our collective duty to never forget the Holocaust and its victims, and because of the respect for human dignity that is owed to each person and to all peoples. These statements have deeply shocked and saddened all at Dior who give body and soul to their work, and it is particularly painful that they came from someone so admired for his remarkable creative talent."
Galliano -- in seclusion and rumored to be in rehab -- still plans to show his namesake label on Sunday, though he's downgraded it from a "runway event" to a smaller "presentation." Still no word on whether the scandalized designer will make an appearance at that showing.
Read more from StyleList here >>>
Hit or Miss Fashion?
Christina Aguilera leaves her SoHo hotel looking very edgy, and possibly 'Evil,' as she heads to Radio City Music Hall.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies after parachute accident
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Lisa Robertson reveals more family sex abuse
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Digital Comics Platform Thrillbent Launches iPad App, Subscriptions
- 'Jurassic World' Director: 'We Have Definitely Talked About Sequels'
- Johnny Depp's 'Mortdecai' to Hit Theaters Winter 2015
- ?Nashville' joins proud tradition of unorthodox clip shows: 5 more that stand out
- ?John From Cincinnati' is not on HBO Go or Amazon Prime, and it should be
- tUnE-yArDs channels ?Pee-Wee's Playhouse' for ?Water Fountain' music video
- A 'Frozen' Sequel Isn't Happening Anytime Soon
- 'Jurassic World' Sequels Are Pretty Much Invevitable
- 'Neighbors' Unscripted: Ask Seth Rogen and Zac Efron a Question