Report: Kate Middleton Wedding Dress Designer Chosen
By The Editors of StyleList Posted Mar 7th 2011 12:20AM
** OFFICIAL UPDATE Visit AOL Royal Wedding for photos of Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress designed by Alexander McQueen's Sarah Burton **
Kate Middleton's wedding dress designer is Alexander McQueen creative director, Sarah Burton, according to reports in British newspapers.
While McQueen officials are issuing denials -- which they would be obliged to do, even if it were true -- sources told the UK's Telegraph that Burton has been chosen for her discretion, talent and quirky, feminine take on elegance.
The 36-year-old was promoted to the top design job after McQueen himself committed suicide last year. First Lady Michelle Obama caused a stir when she wore one of Burton's McQueen designs to a State Dinner for Chinese president Hu Jintao in January.
London's Sunday Times is also reporting McQueen's CEO Jonathan Akeroyd gushed to a colleague that the fashion house had won the coveted commission for Middleton's April 29 wedding to longtime love, Prince William.
Burton's work first caught the royal bride-to-be's eye in 2005 when she created an off-the-shoulder wedding dress for Sara Buys, a fashion journalist married to Tom Parker-Bowles, the son of her future stepmother-in-law, the Duchess of Cornwall, according to the Telegraph.
Burton denied the reports regarding her involvement to Vogue UK: "I'm not doing it." Akeroyd also denied the rumors, saying: "No, not at all. I'm the CEO, I would know if we were doing it."
The commission has also been rumored to belong to Bruce Oldfield, a favorite of the late Princess Diana and designer of Queen Rania of Jordan's wedding dress.
Even if the latest rumors are true, Burton and company wouldn't want to have the exalted McQueen name stepping on a future queen's well-shod toes.
The designers of Princess Diana's 1981 wedding dress, David and Elizabeth Emanuel, repeatedly denied their role as royal couturier.
Middleton has made it clear her dress designer is to remain a closely guarded state secret until her wedding day, so she can surprise her fiancé as she walks down the long, dramatic Westminster Abbey aisle.
Last week, St. James Palace announced the highly anticipated dress details would be released first on its own website, The Royal Wedding.
Daily Telegraph Fashion Editor Hilary Alexander told London's Daily Mail if the Burton/McQueen news is true, it's a welcome relief for fashion: "It's desperately in need of an injection of fabulousness in the wake of the whole John Galliano scandal."
Get more at StyleList >>
Hit or Miss Fashion?
Christina Aguilera leaves her SoHo hotel looking very edgy, and possibly 'Evil,' as she heads to Radio City Music Hall.
MORE ABOUT Kate Middleton
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kate Middleton Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gwen Stefani, Blake Shelton Have Lip-Sync Battle With Jimmy Fallon; Vanessa, Nick Lachey Celebrate Adorable Son's Birthday: Top 5 Stories
- Ylvis Band Introduces "Trucker's Hitch" After "What Does the Fox Say?" Success: Watch Now!
- Connie Britton, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Were College Roommates: See the Amazing '80s Throwback Photo
- Maria Menounos Attends SPLASH An Exclusive Media Event By Live Love Spa At The Hyatt Regency Century Plaza
- Hollywood studios are urged to take extra precautions filming abroad amid rising global security issues
- 'NCIS' moves down South with New Orleans spinoff
- Ben Affleck admits he counts cards
- Daniel Radcliffe Visits Marijuana Café While in Amsterdam—See the Happy Pic!
- Will Smith Wishes Wife Jada Pinkett Smith a Happy Birthday With This Amazing Photo
- Tallulah and Scout Willis Take a Bath Together, Then Hit the Town After Reuniting for First Time in Months: See the Photos!