Max Winkler Dispels Myths About His Dad, Leather Jackets and Slicked Back Hair
By Amber James Posted Mar 7th 2011 10:20AM
PopEater sat down with the budding director to talk about growing up with Henry as a father, his new movie and why he wants to be "winning" with Charlie Sheen on his next film.
In your new film, it looks like we'll be seeing a different side of Uma Thurman.
She's great. She was probably more protective of the script than I was at times. She is such a smart and intellectual person, so I really looked at her like a collaborator. I am completely grateful that she was in this movie with us because she grounds the movie. And on a day-to-day basis, it was her surrounded by a bunch of 20-something boys, so it was nice to have a real woman around.
When the cameras weren't rolling, what did everyone do off set?
Well, we actually all lived on set, so we hung out and saw each other all the time. We all lived in separate houses on the property, so it felt like summer camp. We'd have dinner together every night. Michael Angarano's mom is this amazing Italian cook, so she'd come from Long Island and cook for us. And then, other nights we'd go into Oyster Bay, get drunk and have fun.
The film itself seems very personal. Is it autobiographical?
It's 67 percent true. It was a very personal movie. I poured it out of me really quickly. I felt close to all the characters.
In the movie, Sam tries to woo back his former fling and stop her from getting married. That's pretty gutsy. Have you ever done something like that for love?
I may have. Perhaps not as recklessly as Sam. The movie is about that awkward time in your life, and you look back and cringe at your former self. Sam believes he is the Cary Grant figure, but no one else in the film takes him seriously, which is probably accurate to how I was at that age. He's too impressionable. He still takes all those books and movies too seriously, when he should have moved off of them years ago.
So I have to ask, what's it like growing up with Henry Winkler as your dad?
He was just a regular dad. It wasn't like he drove me to school on a motorcycle in a leather jacket, while I was in a little side car with my hair gelled back. It was pretty normal. I'd see him in his flannel pajama pants dry casting fishing rods in our lawn with a cowboy hat on. And then I'd make fun of him for it.
Do you have any plans to step in front of the camera and act?
No. I am genuinely a horrific actor. I kept thinking it would come naturally, but when I step in front of the camera, it just accentuates the size of my nose.
What does your dad think about that?
My dad would prefer me not to be an actor. He would let me do whatever I wanted, but he likes the fact that I have a little more control.
Are there any celebrities you want to work with?
I'd love to work with Michael Cera again. Hmm... maybe Jesse Eisenberg. He was originally cast in the movie. I love him as an actor, so he's at the top of my list.
I can't believe you didn't say Charlie Sheen.
Oh my god. I would genuinely love to work with Charlie Sheen. Then, we'd both be winning!
'Ceremony' opens in theaters on April 8, 2011.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Star Trek' does $70.6M on opening weekend, but falls short of studio's expectations
- Taylor Swift shines at Billboard Music Awards
- Twilight time for Stewart, Pattinson?
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Tyrion Delivers a Shocking Speech
- 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' Winner Revealed
- '30 Rock' Star Katrina Bowden Marries
- ?All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' season finale: And the winner is?
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- ?Game of Thrones': OK Cupid reveals which characters are most compatible
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2
- 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)