Batman Gears Up to Fight Mystery Villain
By Elizabeth Yun Posted Mar 9th 2011 11:20AM
Speaking to E! Online at the premiere of 'Red Riding Hood,' Gary Oldman, who plays Commissioner Gordon in the Christopher Nolan-directed superhero reboots, revealed, "I think it's a villain from one of the old, old, from way back from the old comics."
It was already confirmed that 'Inception' star Tom Hardy would be making an appearance as Bane, and Anne Hathaway beat out some heavy competition, including Keira Knightley and Jessica Biel, to land the role of Catwoman. But reports of Nolan casting Joseph Gordon-Levitt in an unspecified role in the third installment have led to a new round of villainous rumors.
Oldman wouldn't give away much, but he did confirm, "It's not going to be the Joker." Late actor Heath Ledger won a posthumous Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his turn as the Joker in 'The Dark Knight.' Nolan already confirmed last summer that the Joker would not be making a return. "For me, Heath was the definitive Joker," he said. "It wouldn't feel appropriate to readdress that character."
If Gordon-Levitt is, in fact, joining the cast, he would make a great Riddler, but Nolan quashed those rumors before they even started when he told the Los Angeles Times in October, "It won't be the Riddler."
And we won't be getting any more hints from Oldman, who, when pressed, added, "If I told you who the villain was, they'd kill me."
Nolan hinted that he plans to make 'The Dark Knight Rises' his last contribution to the franchise when he told the Los Angeles Times, "We want to finish our story." Christian Bale, who stars as Batman, also revealed that this would be his last time appearing in the role "unless Chris says different."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Jim Parsons to star in NBC's ?Elf' animated holiday special
- FOX411's pic of the day
- 'Constantine' Director: "I Felt Like a Wrong Needed to Be Righted"
- Keanu Reeves: 'Bill & Ted 3' Status Changes From Day to Day
- Critic's Notebook: An Actor's Face Is a Terrible Thing to Change
- ?Constantine' star Matt Ryan is a super binge watcher
- Entertainment Geekly: How ?The Walking Dead' is ?Lord of the Rings'
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch try to walk like Beyonce
- Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons on 'Whiplash,' Drumming and Stoking Passion
- Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie
- 'Whiplash' Director Damien Chazelle on His Film's Success and the Burdens of Drumming