Batman Gears Up to Fight Mystery Villain
By Elizabeth Yun Posted Mar 9th 2011 11:20AM
Speaking to E! Online at the premiere of 'Red Riding Hood,' Gary Oldman, who plays Commissioner Gordon in the Christopher Nolan-directed superhero reboots, revealed, "I think it's a villain from one of the old, old, from way back from the old comics."
It was already confirmed that 'Inception' star Tom Hardy would be making an appearance as Bane, and Anne Hathaway beat out some heavy competition, including Keira Knightley and Jessica Biel, to land the role of Catwoman. But reports of Nolan casting Joseph Gordon-Levitt in an unspecified role in the third installment have led to a new round of villainous rumors.
Oldman wouldn't give away much, but he did confirm, "It's not going to be the Joker." Late actor Heath Ledger won a posthumous Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his turn as the Joker in 'The Dark Knight.' Nolan already confirmed last summer that the Joker would not be making a return. "For me, Heath was the definitive Joker," he said. "It wouldn't feel appropriate to readdress that character."
If Gordon-Levitt is, in fact, joining the cast, he would make a great Riddler, but Nolan quashed those rumors before they even started when he told the Los Angeles Times in October, "It won't be the Riddler."
And we won't be getting any more hints from Oldman, who, when pressed, added, "If I told you who the villain was, they'd kill me."
Nolan hinted that he plans to make 'The Dark Knight Rises' his last contribution to the franchise when he told the Los Angeles Times, "We want to finish our story." Christian Bale, who stars as Batman, also revealed that this would be his last time appearing in the role "unless Chris says different."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- 'Tomorrowland' beats out 'Pitch Perfect 2' for number one spot
- Actress Anne Meara, Mom of Ben Stiller, Dies at 85
- TV Host Byron Allen Slams President Obama: "A White President in Blackface"
- Cannes: Salma Hayek, Colin Farrell, Amy Poehler Weigh in on Selfies Ban (Video)
- 'Braveheart': 25 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Mel Gibson's Epic
- 'Fantastic Four' Star Michael B. Jordan Responds to Critics of Black Johnny Storm
- See Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult on 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Set