Mel Gibson Gets Plea Deal in Criminal Abuse Case
RadarOnline.com reports that Alexander "Sasha" Dalton, the son of Mel's allegedly abused baby mama Oksana Grigorieva, was set to testify as the star witness. Sasha, 13, is the child of Oksana and actor Timothy Dalton.
"One major reason why this case was being brought against Mel Gibson, more than a year after the alleged incident took place, is because Sasha was made available to testify at a potential criminal trial against Mel," a source close to the case tells Radar. "Sasha's involvement and cooperation in the case was absolutely essential, and because he is a minor, both of his parents had to agree to let him participate, and that took some time to make happen."
"Even though Mel believed he could win the case, he struck the deal to protect his loved ones," TMZ writes.
Gibson's lawyer, Blair Berk, released the following statement to TMZ:
Though the criminal case appears close to an end, RadarOnline contends that Mel's image-rehab is far from over. "The way many people perceive Mel is forever changed," Radar's Managing Editor and Executive Vice President David Perel tells PopEater. "Mel's taped rants, with racist, violent and misogynistic language, will never be erased from the public consciousness. The aftereffects will linger for a long, long time."
"I know from almost 20 years as a criminal defense lawyer that sometimes justice can come for a client at too high a personal price. That is particularly so for Mel, whose right to due process can only be exercised in this case with an enormous media circus attached.
Mel's priority throughout all of this has been that the best interests of his young daughter Lucia and the rest of his children be put first in any decisions made. It is with only that in mind that he asked me to approach the District Attorney with a proposal that would bring all of this to an immediate end."
See fan reactions to the fierce Mel Gibson audio rants that started it all:
MORE ABOUT Mel Gibson
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Mel Gibson Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- What do Adam Levine and Wilmer Valderrama have in common? ObamaCare
- One Direction fans attack Lorde's boyfriend with racist tweets
- Kim Kardashian defends giving 10 percent of eBay auction proceeds to charity, says its plenty
- CBS Renews 'Survivor' for Two More Editions; Jeff Probst Re-ups as Host
- Roundtable: 6 Documentarians on Lance Armstrong's Lies and Alec Baldwin's Secret Talent
- Parvati Shallow Recaps 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water': Tears, Lies and a Shocking Victory
- The Golden Globe Comedy and Musical nominees: Where laughter goes to die
- Lea Michele opens up about Cory Monteith to Ellen DeGeneres
- Golden Globe nominations: Reactions from Matthew McConaughey, Kerry Washington & more
- Here's the New Logo for Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' (PHOTO)
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,' 'Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas,' 'Saving Mr. Banks,' & More
- Tom Hanks on the Burden of Playing Walt Disney, the Real P.L. Travers, and Dinners With Emma Thompson