Mel Gibson Charged With Misdemeanor Battery
As previously reported, Gibson is expected to accept a plea agreement to resolve the case and is not anticipated to serve jail time.
Earlier this week, Gibson's lawyer, Blair Berk, released the following statement:
I know from almost 20 years as a criminal defense lawyer that sometimes justice can come for a client at too high a personal price. That is particularly so for Mel, whose right to due process can only be exercised in this case with an enormous media circus attached.
Mel's priority throughout all of this has been that the best interests of his young daughter Lucia and the rest of his children be put first in any decisions made. It is with only that in mind that he asked me to approach the District Attorney with a proposal that would bring all of this to an immediate end.
Allegations that Gibson struck Grigorieva surfaced last summer after a series of explosive audio tirades between the actor and the Russian singer surfaced online. The rants contained racist and sexist taunts as well threats of violence. Gibson has not addressed the rants and has kept a low-profile in the months since they surfaced.
After numerous delays in the wake of the bad press surrounding the actor, Gibson's next film, the Jodie Foster-directed dramedy 'The Beaver,' is expected to be released later this year.
MORE ABOUT Mel Gibson
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Mel Gibson Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- ?First Gay Hug' viral video used actors to portray homophobes, actress says
- Ex-NBC employee says he helped Bill Cosby pay off women
- Looks like these stars forgot something
- 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Ladies on Their "Boring" New Co-Star (Exclusive Video)
- Rutger Hauer, 'American Horror Story,' 'Ripper Street' Stars Board BBC's 'Last Kingdom'
- 'Today' Firing: Jamie Horowitz Wanted Savannah Guthrie Out, Natalie Morales Demoted
- ?Box Office: Why Did 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Have the Weakest Opening of the Franchise?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5, Episode 7 Recap: You're Not Holding it Right
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' Soars to the Top Spot