Barbra Streisand's Dreams of 'Gypsy' Dashed by Proud Sondheim, Laurents
By Rob Shuter Posted Mar 14th 2011 05:30PM
Laurents holds the rights to the 1959 Broadway musical and agreed that Barbra could play the role of Mama Rose, even telling the New York Post: "Barbra ... knows what she's doing. She has my approval."
Now the 93-year-old Laurents has changed his mind after he spoke with the musical's lyricist Stephen Sondheim, who flatly asked, "What is the point of" doing another movie.
"So I don't want it now," Laurents told the Harford Courant. "I want it to stay alive. I think (Streisand) is disappointed. She wanted very much to do it. That would have been a good exit for her career. Tom Hooper wanted to direct it. I think he's wonderful."
An insider tells me Sondheim also told Laurents that a film version would kill any future stage productions of the hit show. "He played to Laurents' ego suggesting 'Gypsy' would live forever if a definitive film version was never made," my source tells me. "What 93-year-old man doesn't want to listen when someone says they can live forever?"
And although Barbra is said to be very disappointed that the film will not be made any time soon thanks to her "friend" Stephen Sondheim's interfering, insiders tell me the legend hasn't given up altogether.
Without being callous or cruel, I'm told Barbra will simply wait it out. "All Barbra needs to do is sit and wait," a producer friend tells me. "Sooner or later she will get to play her dream role on film."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Glen Campbell moved to Alzheimer's facility, report says
- Miley Cyrus postpones more concerts as she remains hospitalized
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?Scandal' cast member Jeff Perry admits watching ?The Wire' is on his to-do list ? VIDEO
- Throwback Thursday: B'Witched, the Irish Spice Girls of the '90s ? VIDEO
- ?Scandal': We predict what's going to happen tonight
- What Wu-Tang Clan Wants You to Know About Rapper Who Cut Off Private Part
- Gossip Girl: Taylor Swift Surprises Fan at Bridal Shower
- Bill O'Reilly Says Stephen Colbert Is Taking a ?Risk' by Replacing Letterman