'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' Songwriter Hugh Martin Dead
By Zach Dionne Posted Mar 14th 2011 04:55PM
Niece Suzanne Hanners confirmed Martin's death to the New York Times. Born in Birmingham, Ala., Martin is survived by a brother, Gordon.
The Times calls 'Merry Little Christmas' "one of a triumvirate of achingly wistful seasonal ballads from World War II (the others are 'White Christmas' and 'I'll Be Home for Christmas') to have transcended their era."
See Garland sing Martin's Christmas classic at 1:30 in the clip below:
The famous Christmas song originally contained glum lyrics such as "Have yourself a merry little Christmas/It may be your last ... Faithful friends who were dear to us/Will be near to us no more." In 2007, Martin recalled the rewriting process to Entertainment Weekly:
"They said, 'It's so dreadfully sad.' I said, 'I thought the girls were supposed to be sad in that scene.' They said, 'Well, not that sad.' And Judy [Garland] was saying, 'If I sing that to that sweet little Margaret O'Brien, they'll think I'm a monster!' And she was quite right, but it took me a long time to get over my pride. Finally, Tom Drake [the young male lead], who was a friend, convinced me. He said, 'You stupid son of a bitch! You're gonna foul up your life if you don't write another verse of that song!'"Martin shared songwriting credits with collaborator Ralph Blane, who passed away in 1995. Martin wrote four Broadway musicals from 1941 to 1964 -- 'Best Foot Forward,' 'Look Ma,' 'I'm Dancin'!', 'Make a Wish,' 'High Spirits' and a 1989 stage iteration of 'Meet Me in St. Louis.'
Recently Departed Celebrities
David Nelson, Jan. 11: An actor who starred alongside his parents and little brother Ricky in the beloved TV series 'The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet,' Nelson died at age 74 after battling complications of colon cancer.
Recently Departed Celebrities
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Oscar de la Renta, fashion designer, dies at 82, report says
- 'Real Housewives' star Brandi Glanville reportedly dating 23-year-old
- Nicki Minaj doesn't understand the fuss over 'Anaconda' video
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Let's revisit Larry King's 2 a.m. Twitter rampage
- Designer Oscar de la Renta Dead at 82
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jason Momoa's Super Intense ?GoT' Audition Tape
- ?Fury' Star Shia LaBeouf ?Found God? in a Very Real Way'
- Teresa Giudice Dropped By Crisis Manager Wendy Feldman After Filing Orange Is The New Black Prison Request: Details
- Ryan Phillippe Disses His Own Career: "I've Made 30-Plus Films," "Five of Them Are Good"
- Dancing With the Stars Recap, Season 19, Week 6: Pitbull Guest Judges, Janel and Val Tease "Feelings"