Is Kanye West Finally Growing Up Or What?
By Zach Dionne Posted Mar 14th 2011 08:45PM
When Kanye West got turned away from Paris fashion shows last week, we waited for the inevitable explosion, for Yeezy's newest dozen-tweet rant.
It never came. Our curiosity climbed. Then Kanye tweeted about Paris Fashion Week, and it was no kind of tirade; it was a happy photo of himself and a bevy of fans [above], simply tagged "photo from paris last week." What's going on here? Is Kanye West actually, seriously, finally growing up?
The fact that Kanye West is an artist of great merit is indisputable (sorry, haters -- just own it). Another truth -- evidenced by 'Ye's line "my life is like a child's illusions become reality" on a B-side to 2010's ubiquitously praised 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' -- is that Kanye isn't the most mature guy out there.
Anyone compiling a roundup of Kanye's childish behavior has plenty of fodder: In the last few months alone, West ticked off Lily Allen with a tweet about abortion, possibly ripped off the video concept for 'All of the Lights,' bravely held back a full-on tantrum on the 'Today' show and apparently staged his whole "they banned my album cover, WTF!" controversy. And, of course, Taylorgate. Never forget.
This time, Kanye, the self-proclaimed Louis Vuitton Don, impressively stayed tight-lipped about the Paris Fashion Week snub. Alone, that feat may not have been so commendable. But take February into consideration, when Justin Bieber lost the Best New Artist Grammy to relatively unknown jazz bassist and singer Esperanza Spalding. Kanye seemed on the cusp of another rant, tweeting:
And that was all. Not only did Kanye not say the wrong thing -- he didn't say anything. Whether Kanye would have defended Bieber -- who he had a brief Twitter bromance with, resulting in a remix of 'Runaway Love' -- or continued his long spree of speaking out on behalf of black America (see: "George Bush doesn't care about black people"), we never found out. Kanye kept quiet.
Now Idolator reports 'Ye will join a stacked lineup at South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, this week. The performance could be a good first step to erasing a bad festival experience at Bonnaroo in 2008, when Kanye kept attendees waiting until 4AM to see a lackluster, thankless performance. It could also be a good warm-up for Kanye to headline another massive festival, Coachella, in April.
Boombox wrote that the three-day fest's $319 tickets sold out in record time and speculated that Kanye may have had something to do with it. PopEater wondered if Kanye would be ready for Coachella after tarnishing Bonnaroo in '08 and ruining the VMAs in '09. Now our fingers are crossed that the April 17 gig at Coachella marks the debut of an increasingly adultlike Kanye West.
►Why Doesn't Anyone Get Kanye West's Jokes?
►Is Kanye Ready for Coachella? Is He Done Ruining Big Events?
See the flashy video that announced Kanye's SXSW appearance:
MORE ABOUT Kanye West
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kanye West Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps from balcony in apparent suicide attempt, report says
- FOX News announces new daytime show 'Outnumbered'
- Robin Roberts: Doctor said I had two years to live
- Taylor Swift crashes superfan's bridal shower ? VIDEO
- ?Neighbors': Seth Rogen and Zac Efron try out for ?Workaholics' cubicle ? NSFW VIDEO
- ?Game of Thrones': Jack Gleeson's picture-perfect reaction to the Purple Wedding ? PHOTO
- Alexa Ray Joel's First Words About Her Health After Collapsing Onstage
- Kardashian Family News: Kris Jenner Goes to Hospital, Rob Kardashian Not in Rehab
- Wu-Tang Affiliated Rapper Cuts Off Private Part, Jumps from Balcony!
- Lamar Odom Officially Signs With New York Knicks for Remainder of NBA Season
- Alan Thicke Talks Son Robin's Split, Kirk Cameron Bailing on Growing Pains Reunion
- Scandal Stars Scott Foley, Joshua Malina to Join Shonda Rhimes on Post-Finale Jimmy Kimmel Special: First Look!