Is Kanye West Finally Growing Up Or What?
By Zach Dionne Posted Mar 14th 2011 08:45PM
When Kanye West got turned away from Paris fashion shows last week, we waited for the inevitable explosion, for Yeezy's newest dozen-tweet rant.
It never came. Our curiosity climbed. Then Kanye tweeted about Paris Fashion Week, and it was no kind of tirade; it was a happy photo of himself and a bevy of fans [above], simply tagged "photo from paris last week." What's going on here? Is Kanye West actually, seriously, finally growing up?
The fact that Kanye West is an artist of great merit is indisputable (sorry, haters -- just own it). Another truth -- evidenced by 'Ye's line "my life is like a child's illusions become reality" on a B-side to 2010's ubiquitously praised 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' -- is that Kanye isn't the most mature guy out there.
Anyone compiling a roundup of Kanye's childish behavior has plenty of fodder: In the last few months alone, West ticked off Lily Allen with a tweet about abortion, possibly ripped off the video concept for 'All of the Lights,' bravely held back a full-on tantrum on the 'Today' show and apparently staged his whole "they banned my album cover, WTF!" controversy. And, of course, Taylorgate. Never forget.
This time, Kanye, the self-proclaimed Louis Vuitton Don, impressively stayed tight-lipped about the Paris Fashion Week snub. Alone, that feat may not have been so commendable. But take February into consideration, when Justin Bieber lost the Best New Artist Grammy to relatively unknown jazz bassist and singer Esperanza Spalding. Kanye seemed on the cusp of another rant, tweeting:
And that was all. Not only did Kanye not say the wrong thing -- he didn't say anything. Whether Kanye would have defended Bieber -- who he had a brief Twitter bromance with, resulting in a remix of 'Runaway Love' -- or continued his long spree of speaking out on behalf of black America (see: "George Bush doesn't care about black people"), we never found out. Kanye kept quiet.
Now Idolator reports 'Ye will join a stacked lineup at South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, this week. The performance could be a good first step to erasing a bad festival experience at Bonnaroo in 2008, when Kanye kept attendees waiting until 4AM to see a lackluster, thankless performance. It could also be a good warm-up for Kanye to headline another massive festival, Coachella, in April.
Boombox wrote that the three-day fest's $319 tickets sold out in record time and speculated that Kanye may have had something to do with it. PopEater wondered if Kanye would be ready for Coachella after tarnishing Bonnaroo in '08 and ruining the VMAs in '09. Now our fingers are crossed that the April 17 gig at Coachella marks the debut of an increasingly adultlike Kanye West.
►Why Doesn't Anyone Get Kanye West's Jokes?
►Is Kanye Ready for Coachella? Is He Done Ruining Big Events?
See the flashy video that announced Kanye's SXSW appearance:
MORE ABOUT Kanye West
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kanye West Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- No background check done on Michael Jackson's doctor, lawyer says
- Break Time: Tan Mom makes an unfortunate music video
- ?Daily Show' co-creator Lizz Winstead sparks outrage with Oklahoma tornado joke about conservatives
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- Can 'Idol' Be Saved?
- LOOK: Bill Murray Is Not Impressed By Baby Who Doesn't Like Him Either
- WATCH: 'Scandal' Star Visits 'Criminal Minds' Finale
- ?Dancing With the Stars': Your Hidden Gems of the Season 16 Finals!
- ?The Bachelor's Funniest Moments': Bloopers, bugs, booze, and boobs
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- Extra Scoop: Brad Pitt's Esquire Confession: ?I Have Very Few Friends'
- How You Can Help Victims of the Oklahoma City Twister
- Robert and Leslie Zemeckis Talk Burlesque at The Grove
- American Idol's Allison Iraheta Is Married: Report
- Brad Pitt Talks Drug Use, Says He Had an "Epiphany" 10 Years Ago; Robert Pattinson Moves Out of Kristen Stewart's Home: Today's Top Stories
- Jesse James Accidentally Cuts Off His Finger, Says He Doesn't Need Morphine