Kid Rock Ignites Controversy With NAACP
By The Boot Editors Posted Mar 14th 2011 12:45AM
The reason for the protest is the singer's use of the Confederate Flag, which is considered by some to be a representation of slavery and has been used by several controversial groups, including the Ku Klux Klan and the white supremacist group, the Aryan Nations.
But the head of the Detroit chapter of the NAACP, Donnell R. White, defends this year's honoree, "Kid Rock .. has consistently lifted up the Great Expectations of many persons ... concerning the future of the city," (quote via the Detroit News).
Other city leaders disagree. "It's a slap in the face for anyone who fought for civil rights in this country," the leader of Detroiters for Progress, Adolph Mongo, said Thursday. "It's a symbol of hatred and bigotry."
For now, the multi-platinum-selling artist is staying silent on the subject. But in a 2008 interview, the star defended his use of the symbol at his live shows. "Why should someone be able to own any image and say what it is?" he questioned to United Kingdom's The Guardian. "Sure, it's definitely got some scars, but I've never had an issue with it. To me it just represents pride in Southern rock 'n' roll music, plus it just looks cool."
Kid Rock will head to New Orleans after his appearance at the Freedom Fund dinner, where he will perform for the New Orleans Jazz Fest.
Get more at The Boot >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Longtime cast member Darrell Hammond takes over as 'SNL' announcer for Don Pardo
- Sharon Osbourne: I slit my wrists to prove love for Ozzy
- Melissa Rivers speaks out, making first TV appearance since mom's death
- Model Mean Girls! Kendall Jenner Bullied at NY Fashion Week
- Is Howard Stern Retiring and Moving to Florida?
- Chris Brown Opens Up About His Time in Jail and How Therapy Helped Him
- Kim Kardashian Beats the Heat in White Knotted Tank Top, Tight Maxi Skirt: Picture
- Camden Lachey Turns 2! Vanessa, Nick Lachey Celebrate Adorable Son With Construction-Themed Party
- "All About That Bass" Singer Meghan Trainor Covers Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off": Watch Now!