Kid Rock Ignites Controversy With NAACP
By The Boot Editors Posted Mar 14th 2011 12:45AM
The reason for the protest is the singer's use of the Confederate Flag, which is considered by some to be a representation of slavery and has been used by several controversial groups, including the Ku Klux Klan and the white supremacist group, the Aryan Nations.
But the head of the Detroit chapter of the NAACP, Donnell R. White, defends this year's honoree, "Kid Rock .. has consistently lifted up the Great Expectations of many persons ... concerning the future of the city," (quote via the Detroit News).
Other city leaders disagree. "It's a slap in the face for anyone who fought for civil rights in this country," the leader of Detroiters for Progress, Adolph Mongo, said Thursday. "It's a symbol of hatred and bigotry."
For now, the multi-platinum-selling artist is staying silent on the subject. But in a 2008 interview, the star defended his use of the symbol at his live shows. "Why should someone be able to own any image and say what it is?" he questioned to United Kingdom's The Guardian. "Sure, it's definitely got some scars, but I've never had an issue with it. To me it just represents pride in Southern rock 'n' roll music, plus it just looks cool."
Kid Rock will head to New Orleans after his appearance at the Freedom Fund dinner, where he will perform for the New Orleans Jazz Fest.
Get more at The Boot >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Eric Church's Grammy-nominated album 'The Outsiders' goes Platinum
- Report: Selena Gomez still pining over Justin Bieber
- North Korea connected to Sony attack as company cancels Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview'
- ?The Sing-Off' recap: One night, six groups, 800 blazers
- Truth, answers, and other things ?Serial' never promised you
- What to expect from the season 5 ?Sing-Off' groups: A very careful aca-sessment
- Extra Scoop: Celebs React to Sony's Decision to Pull ?The Interview'
- Extreme Beauty Roundup: Why Do Celebs Downplay Their Perfect Bodies?
- What's on Her Ear? See Demi Lovato's Daring New Look and More!
- Amber Portwood's Father, Shawn Portwood, Sr., Dead at 50 After Liver Surgery
- Taylor Swift Screams, Pulls Her Hair on Hollywood Reporter Cover, Says Spotify Decision Caused Other Artists to Thank Her
- Victoria Beckham Actually Loves Going Without Makeup, Easy Hair -- How Very Un-Posh!