Jillian Michaels 'Ashamed' She Couldn't Get Pregnant
By Rob Shuter Posted Mar 15th 2011 11:35AM
America's toughest trainer, Jillian Michaels, landed in hot water last year when she told Women's Health that she would rather adopt an African baby as opposed to getting pregnant because "I can't handle doing that to my body." Readers piled on, with one lambasting Jillian for promoting the "extremely misguided idea that pregnancy is some sort of 'disease' that women should avoid."
In an interview with The New York Times over the weekend, Jillian addressed the callous-sounding comments, explaining that she has endometriosis and "most likely couldn't get pregnant" anyway.
Friends of the 'Biggest Loser' star tell me she felt the need to speak out after months and months of getting hammered for her badly worded comment.
"Jillian would much rather have kept her private life private," a friend tells me. "She thought the nasty comments would stop but once it became clear that they wouldn't she felt the need to address it head on."
Lots of women struggle with having children, and my source says that if Jillian "can make just one woman struggling to conceive right now feel better about herself then it was all worth it."
In her full comment to the Times, Jillian listed a laundry list of reasons she couldn't get pregnant and says she felt "ashamed" because people expect her to be the "healthiest woman in the world."
"The reality is that I have endometriosis, and I most likely couldn't get pregnant. I've had the X-rays, my tubes are closed, the uterine lining is too thick, blah, blah, blah. I was ashamed about it because I thought I'm supposed to be the healthiest woman in the world, and what does this say about me if I can't have kids of my own. It was insecurity, which I have to work on."
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Baby -
- Gut Reactions -
- Health Issues -
- TV News -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Will VMAs mimic last year's Miley-led raunchfest? MTV says ?you never know'
- Hayden Panettiere's pregnancy will be written into 'Nashville' script, with father's identity a mystery
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Sarah Jessica Parker Nominates Kim Kardashian, Takes Ice Bucket Challenge in Tiny Towel
- Jared Leto Gets Beard Trim from Jimmy Fallon, Performs Hilarious Intense Staredown
- Robin Williams Cremated Privately, Ashes Scattered in San Francisco Bay
- 70 Pound Gain! Friends Fear For Jonah Hill's Life As Actor Hits 270 Pounds ? His Heaviest Weight Ever!
- Already Talking Marriage! Joel Madden Tells Lovesick Twin Brother Benji To Put The Breaks On Cameron Diaz Romance