Jillian Michaels 'Ashamed' She Couldn't Get Pregnant
By Rob Shuter Posted Mar 15th 2011 11:35AM
America's toughest trainer, Jillian Michaels, landed in hot water last year when she told Women's Health that she would rather adopt an African baby as opposed to getting pregnant because "I can't handle doing that to my body." Readers piled on, with one lambasting Jillian for promoting the "extremely misguided idea that pregnancy is some sort of 'disease' that women should avoid."
In an interview with The New York Times over the weekend, Jillian addressed the callous-sounding comments, explaining that she has endometriosis and "most likely couldn't get pregnant" anyway.
Friends of the 'Biggest Loser' star tell me she felt the need to speak out after months and months of getting hammered for her badly worded comment.
"Jillian would much rather have kept her private life private," a friend tells me. "She thought the nasty comments would stop but once it became clear that they wouldn't she felt the need to address it head on."
Lots of women struggle with having children, and my source says that if Jillian "can make just one woman struggling to conceive right now feel better about herself then it was all worth it."
In her full comment to the Times, Jillian listed a laundry list of reasons she couldn't get pregnant and says she felt "ashamed" because people expect her to be the "healthiest woman in the world."
"The reality is that I have endometriosis, and I most likely couldn't get pregnant. I've had the X-rays, my tubes are closed, the uterine lining is too thick, blah, blah, blah. I was ashamed about it because I thought I'm supposed to be the healthiest woman in the world, and what does this say about me if I can't have kids of my own. It was insecurity, which I have to work on."
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Baby -
- Gut Reactions -
- Health Issues -
- TV News -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Orson Welles' final film may be released
- 'I Was Here': Beyonce song inspires Iraqi youth peace movement
- Kris Jenner Feels Betrayed By Bruce Jenner; Brittany Maynard Pushes Back Death Date: Top 5 Stories
- Prince William, Pregnant Kate Middleton Go on Babymoon With Prince George in Scotland -- Details
- Khloe Kardashian Celebrates 14 Million Instagram Followers With a Super Sexy Booty Snap -- See the Pic!
- Inherited Or Injected? Khloe Kardashian & Kylie Jenner Flaunt Matching Trout Pouts As Nip Tuck Rumors Continue