Decision 2012: Katie Couric and Ricki Lake to Duke It Out for Daytime Slot?
By Rob Shuter Posted Mar 16th 2011 10:02AM
Next year, voters will decide who gets to live in the White House, but among TV bigwigs, there's another choice to be made. Two former daytime titans, Katie Couric and Ricki Lake, are itching to get back in the game, but there's no guarantee the networks or distributors need both.
"They both want this really bad," a TV insider tells me. "But it looks like Katie has the upper hand at the moment, being courted by the syndication arms of both CBS and NBC Universal for her own daily talk show."
Ricki has made it no secret that she misses daytime TV, even confiding to Oprah in November and 'The View' in February that she would love to return after seven years off. But what is delaying a decision by NBC and CBS about Ricki's return is Katie, whose contract as anchor of 'CBS Evening News' is expiring.
"Everyone is super interested in Katie. She is everyone's first choice," one development executive tells me. "If Katie decides to leave CBS News after her contract expires following the election, then Ricky can kiss her hope of returning goodbye."
Of course 2012 is a long ways off, and a lot can change in the world of daytime. Another show can sunset or tank in the ratings, opening up more time and space for multiple new shows.
By next year, Oprah will have been off the air for a whole season and the competition for slots will heat up, but there are only so many networks and hours of the day that need to be filled.
Ricki or Katie, it's going to be one exciting battle.
MORE ABOUT Katie Couric
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Katie Couric Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Orange Is the New Black Writer Divorces Husband, Dates Samira Wiley; Django Star Daniele Watts Handcuffed After Kissing Husband: Top Stories
- Toronto International Film Festival Standout Films, Performances
- Real Housewives of New Jersey Recap: Who Told Amber Marchese to "Shut Up"?
- Will Smith Arrives At Showtime’s VIP Prefight Party For “Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2″ At The MGM Grand Garden Arena
- Fans Slam Vicki Gunvalson After She Continues Defending Boyfriend Brooks Ayers' Sleazy Behavior: ?You Need To Take The Blindfolds Off!’ Says One Follower
- Country star Lynn Anderson charged with DUI
- 'No Good Deed' tops 'Dolphin Tale 2' in box office weekend
- Statue of late singer Amy Winehouse unveiled in London