Jason Derulo Recalls Taking His Cues From Michael Jackson's Smooth Moves
Jason Derulo got into the music business as a songwriter at the age of 18, but knew from a young age that this was his path. "For me it was very early on ," Derulo tells Popeater of his defining moment as a music fan. "I was about four or five years old and I was watching television and Michael Jackson was doing a live performance. I was just flabbergasted, I was in awe of what he was doing."
Derulo says it was right then he decided he would one day go on to be the top 10 hitmaking singer of songs like 'Whatcha Say' and 'In My Head.' "I told my mom, 'I'm gonna be just like him,'" he recalls. "And never looked back since."
I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs.
To get there, he started by putting in hard work learning his moves from TV. "I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs," he says. "And not just from him. It spawned into other things. Across the television screen you've always seen Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Usher. So these were people that were on my television screens all the time that I was just trying to build my skills up."
From there it was off to performing arts school where he learned about everything from Ella Fitzgerald and classical music to Shakespeare. "All these different things meshed into one to create who I am today."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Authorities review video of Suge Knight incident
- Whitney Houston's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, found unresponsive in tub
- Celebs and sports stars converge for pre-Super Bowl party
- Val Kilmer Responds to Health Scare, Denies Tumor Operation
- Bobbi Kristina Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in a Bathtub
- Rumor Bust! Lindsay Lohan Does NOT Want to Become a Witch
- Justin Timberlake Kisses Pregnant Jessica Biel's Bare Baby Bump on 34th Birthday: Instagram Photo
- Taylor Swift Wishes Justin Timberlake Happy Birthday, Posts Throwback Photo With Beyonce, Jay Z
- Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney to Perform at Super Bowl DirectTV Bash