Jason Derulo Recalls Taking His Cues From Michael Jackson's Smooth Moves
Jason Derulo got into the music business as a songwriter at the age of 18, but knew from a young age that this was his path. "For me it was very early on ," Derulo tells Popeater of his defining moment as a music fan. "I was about four or five years old and I was watching television and Michael Jackson was doing a live performance. I was just flabbergasted, I was in awe of what he was doing."
Derulo says it was right then he decided he would one day go on to be the top 10 hitmaking singer of songs like 'Whatcha Say' and 'In My Head.' "I told my mom, 'I'm gonna be just like him,'" he recalls. "And never looked back since."
I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs.
To get there, he started by putting in hard work learning his moves from TV. "I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs," he says. "And not just from him. It spawned into other things. Across the television screen you've always seen Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Usher. So these were people that were on my television screens all the time that I was just trying to build my skills up."
From there it was off to performing arts school where he learned about everything from Ella Fitzgerald and classical music to Shakespeare. "All these different things meshed into one to create who I am today."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rumer Willis: Demi Moore, Bruce Willis are ?really excited' to see me on ?DWTS'
- Scarlett Johansson: John Travolta is not 'creepy,' Oscars kiss was 'totally welcome'
- Woman asks about dress color, Internet loses collective mind
- #TheDress Explained! Why Some See #BlackandBlue and Others #WhiteandGold
- Extra Scoop: Who Would Steal Lupita Nyong'o's Oscars Dress?
- Robin Williams' Daughter's First Interview Since Her Father's Death
- Ozzy Osbourne Warns Billy Bush to "Lay Off Kelly" Amidst Fashion Police Controversy: "Stop Acting Like a Bitch"
- Trista Sutter Reveals Two-Year Infertility Struggle: It Was "Definitely a Dark Time in My Life"
- Pregnant Haylie Duff Tried "Fighting the Good Fight" Against Maternity Clothes Despite Her Self-Described "Massive Belly"