Jason Derulo Recalls Taking His Cues From Michael Jackson's Smooth Moves
Jason Derulo got into the music business as a songwriter at the age of 18, but knew from a young age that this was his path. "For me it was very early on ," Derulo tells Popeater of his defining moment as a music fan. "I was about four or five years old and I was watching television and Michael Jackson was doing a live performance. I was just flabbergasted, I was in awe of what he was doing."
Derulo says it was right then he decided he would one day go on to be the top 10 hitmaking singer of songs like 'Whatcha Say' and 'In My Head.' "I told my mom, 'I'm gonna be just like him,'" he recalls. "And never looked back since."
I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs.
To get there, he started by putting in hard work learning his moves from TV. "I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs," he says. "And not just from him. It spawned into other things. Across the television screen you've always seen Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Usher. So these were people that were on my television screens all the time that I was just trying to build my skills up."
From there it was off to performing arts school where he learned about everything from Ella Fitzgerald and classical music to Shakespeare. "All these different things meshed into one to create who I am today."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- Joan Rivers under fire for joke about kidnapped Cleveland women
- California high court won't review conviction of Michael Jackson's doctor
- ?Arrow' recap: Mama knows best
- ?Survivor: Cagayan': And the eliminated contestant is?
- ?Game of Thrones' workout plan will give you Kingslayer abs
- Extra Scoop: Chris Brown to Remain in Jail Until June!
- Kelly Reilly Explains Mysterious ?Black Box'
- Abby Huntsman Talks Chelsea Clinton and ?DWTS' with Mario Lopez