Jason Derulo Recalls Taking His Cues From Michael Jackson's Smooth Moves
Jason Derulo got into the music business as a songwriter at the age of 18, but knew from a young age that this was his path. "For me it was very early on ," Derulo tells Popeater of his defining moment as a music fan. "I was about four or five years old and I was watching television and Michael Jackson was doing a live performance. I was just flabbergasted, I was in awe of what he was doing."
Derulo says it was right then he decided he would one day go on to be the top 10 hitmaking singer of songs like 'Whatcha Say' and 'In My Head.' "I told my mom, 'I'm gonna be just like him,'" he recalls. "And never looked back since."
I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs.
To get there, he started by putting in hard work learning his moves from TV. "I would sit in front of the television for hours upon hours trying to mimic dance moves, singing songs," he says. "And not just from him. It spawned into other things. Across the television screen you've always seen Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Usher. So these were people that were on my television screens all the time that I was just trying to build my skills up."
From there it was off to performing arts school where he learned about everything from Ella Fitzgerald and classical music to Shakespeare. "All these different things meshed into one to create who I am today."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Leonardo DiCaprio spotted partying with 25 models, source says
- Ali Lohan reportedly launching country music career
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?RHONY' Star Aviva Drescher Explains Why She Threw Her Prosthetic Leg
- Hot Trailer! One Direction Is Headed to a Theater Near You!
- Extra Scoop: Lindsay Lohan's Kissing Partner Revealed
- Amanda de Cadenet: Chelsea Handler Inspired My New Lifetime Talk Show!
- Rachel McAdams Cringes While Watching Notebook Audition Tape for the First Time Ever on the Today Show
- Jenny McCarthy Jokes About Hillary Clinton's Sexuality on The View, Implies She's Had Girlfriends