PETA Peeved About Knut the Polar Bear's Death
By Christine Fenno Posted Mar 20th 2011 09:08AM
Knut's mother rejected him shortly after his birth and he was raised by hand; his adorable photos took the world by storm when he was a cub, and he generated millions for the zoo.
Polar bears reportedly have a life expectancy of three decades or more in the wild; it's allegedly 15-20 years in captivity.
Knut (pictured at the height of his fame in 2007) was inexplicably found dead in a pool on Saturday, inside the enclosure he shared with three female bears. Germans, and fans the world over, have reacted with shock.
But PETA says Knut's death may have been preventable.
A rep for the animal-rights organization says the bears Knut shared space with "terrorized" him. The spokesperson told TMZ, "PETA Germany repeatedly asked zoo authorities to move Knut away from the three females to a different location. His premature death could possibly have been avoided. Polar bears don't belong in captivity."
Hundreds of tourists were reportedly visiting Knut's part of the zoo at the time of his death, and theories abound that he died after mating. Witnesses say he was walking in circles and shaking moments before collapsing. The cause of death is being investigated.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amy Schumer Thinks About Lafayette Theater Shooting Victims "Everyday"
- Jared Padalecki, Stephen Amell Reveal Totally Amazing Abs For Depression Campaign
- Christina Applegate Forced to Discuss Ditching Brad Pitt For Another Guy on Watch What Happens Live: Watch!
- Christina Applegate: Yes, I ditched Brad Pitt on a date
- 'Street Outlaws' star 'Daddy Dave' injured in serious crash
- Amy Schumer vows to do something about gun violence: ‘I'm on it'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Steps Out for the First Time Since Giving Birth to Her Son Atticus James Hallisay—See the Pics!
- Christina Applegate Asked to Reveal Which Guy She Ditched Brad Pitt for at the 1989 MTV Movie Awards—Watch!
- True Detective Finally Gets Busy, Bloody, and Downright Nuts As Someone Actually Dies