PETA Peeved About Knut the Polar Bear's Death
By Christine Fenno Posted Mar 20th 2011 09:08AM
Knut's mother rejected him shortly after his birth and he was raised by hand; his adorable photos took the world by storm when he was a cub, and he generated millions for the zoo.
Polar bears reportedly have a life expectancy of three decades or more in the wild; it's allegedly 15-20 years in captivity.
Knut (pictured at the height of his fame in 2007) was inexplicably found dead in a pool on Saturday, inside the enclosure he shared with three female bears. Germans, and fans the world over, have reacted with shock.
But PETA says Knut's death may have been preventable.
A rep for the animal-rights organization says the bears Knut shared space with "terrorized" him. The spokesperson told TMZ, "PETA Germany repeatedly asked zoo authorities to move Knut away from the three females to a different location. His premature death could possibly have been avoided. Polar bears don't belong in captivity."
Hundreds of tourists were reportedly visiting Knut's part of the zoo at the time of his death, and theories abound that he died after mating. Witnesses say he was walking in circles and shaking moments before collapsing. The cause of death is being investigated.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jeff Perry: Scandal Actor Joins Us For Live Twitter Q&A! Read His Spoilers and Surprising Behind-the-Scenes Details!
- Emmy Rossum Spoofs Gisele Bundchen, Hugh Hefner and Crystal Harris Share Their Christmas Card: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Jenelle Evans Is "Exhausted" From Second Pregnancy, Has Severe Morning Sickness
- The Feud Is Back On! Joanna Krupa Says Brandi Glanville Has ?Alcohol Issues' And A ?Little Brain' After Racist Remark
- Records: Jane Fonda's charity foundation hasn't made donation in 5 years
- Maxim names annual Hometown Hottie: And the winner is...
- What do Adam Levine and Wilmer Valderrama have in common? ObamaCare