PETA Peeved About Knut the Polar Bear's Death
By Christine Fenno Posted Mar 20th 2011 09:08AM
Knut's mother rejected him shortly after his birth and he was raised by hand; his adorable photos took the world by storm when he was a cub, and he generated millions for the zoo.
Polar bears reportedly have a life expectancy of three decades or more in the wild; it's allegedly 15-20 years in captivity.
Knut (pictured at the height of his fame in 2007) was inexplicably found dead in a pool on Saturday, inside the enclosure he shared with three female bears. Germans, and fans the world over, have reacted with shock.
But PETA says Knut's death may have been preventable.
A rep for the animal-rights organization says the bears Knut shared space with "terrorized" him. The spokesperson told TMZ, "PETA Germany repeatedly asked zoo authorities to move Knut away from the three females to a different location. His premature death could possibly have been avoided. Polar bears don't belong in captivity."
Hundreds of tourists were reportedly visiting Knut's part of the zoo at the time of his death, and theories abound that he died after mating. Witnesses say he was walking in circles and shaking moments before collapsing. The cause of death is being investigated.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Billy Bob Thornton Talks Angelina Jolie: "She Thought it Would be Romantic to Slice Our Fingers"
- Kanye West Wishes Kim Kardashian Happy Birthday, "Just Saying I Love You Isn't Strong Enough"
- Django Unchained's Daniele Watts Charged With Lewd Conduct: Report
- ?Not Acceptable!' Jada Pinkett Smith's Stuntwoman Slams ?Gotham' For Blackface Controversy
- Another ?Teen Mom' Cheating Scandal: Amber's Baby Daddy Gary Started Dating New Girlfriend While She Was ?Happily' Married!
- Florida Georgia Line: We're 'professional partiers' and smoke pot
- Matthew McConaughey stands up for romantic comedies
- Toys 'R' Us pulling 'Breaking Bad' dolls from stores, website
- Renée Zellweger Explains Why Her Face Looks Different: "People Don't Know Me in My 40s"
- Sex Tape Bonus Features: Jason Segel Talks Putting His Junk in Cameron Diaz's Face—Plus, Bloopers! Watch Now!
- Why We're Laugh-Puking at Sons of Anarchy and Why We Love-Hate The Voice: Our Rants and Raves