Ricky Martin Thanks Partner at GLAAD Media Awards
By John Mitchell Posted Mar 21st 2011 12:15PM
After extending his gratitude to GLAAD for supporting him when he was "attacked by someone in the media in Puerto Rico," Martin said, "I definitely need to thank my parents for being so supportive, my mother and my dad for their unconditional love, and my friends, my family, my fans. And my partner in crime and my boyfriend Carlos."
Tina Fey, Russell Simmons, 'True Blood,' Scissor Sisters, 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' and 'Anderson Cooper 360' were also honored at the Andy Cohen-hosted event at New York's Marriott Marquis.
"The year's honorees, nominees and award recipients represent diverse stories that are building acceptance and understanding about our community through their excellent work," GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios said in a statement. "GLAAD thanks all in attendance for joining us and voicing their support for equality."
PopEater's own Rob Shuter was in attendance at the awards and said, "Ricky has never seemed more comfortable. He took pictures with fans and guests and had dinner before he got up to accept his award."
Watch Martin's acceptance speech:
The Rev. Al Sharpton presented the Excellence in Media Award to hip-hop producer, entrepreneur and philanthropist Russell Simmons, who has spoken out often on LGBT issues, urging Americans to support full equality.
"It's a great honor, and I'm truly appreciative of the GLAAD Media Awards including me in this special night. I'm humbled by having one of my mentors and heroes, Rev. Sharpton, giving me this award," Simmons said. "It's no secret that faith-based communities, in some cases, have been difficult, and I think that for all of us who step outside of our comfort zone and fight for the rights of others, we are blessed. And Rev. Sharpton [has] stood up in so many ways and has been very special. And to the gay and lesbian community he's a true blessing. I'm honored and appreciative, and I just want to thank everybody. Thank you."
Fey was on hand to accept the award for Outstanding Individual Episode for the '30 Rock' episode 'Klaus & Greta,' in which guest star James Franco starts a fake relationship with Jenna (Jane Krakowski) to halt rumors that he is in love with a Japanese body pillow (itself a meta joke about Franco, who has often been the subject of gay rumors), Liz (Fey) accidentally outs her cousin at her New Year's Eve party and he then comes to live with her in New York.
According to Shuter, Fey's speech was the crowd-pleaser of the evening. "Tina Fey stole the show and got a huge response from the crowd," he said. "She sat at Andy Cohen's table, who surprisingly had no housewives seated with him."
Other major winners included 'True Blood' for Outstanding Drama Series, 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' for Outstanding Talk Show Episode and 'Anderson Cooper 360' for Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine for its "Gay Teen Suicides" special.
MORE ABOUT Tina Fey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Tina Fey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'The Bachelorette' recap: Andi says 'Yes!' in dramatic season finale
- Kiefer Sutherland's rep responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s complaints about actor
- Anthony Anderson 'Eats America'
- ?The Bachelorette' season finale: And the ?winner' is?
- ?The Hobbit' Comic-Con panel is now online: The top 5 highlights
- I'm Still Not Over? House and Cuddy's terrible relationship
- Nina Dobrev Spotted with Three Hunks at Comic-Con? Is She Dating Any of Them?
- Video Highlights from Comic-Con 2014: ?Expendables 3,' ?Let's Be Cops,' and Daniel Radcliffe!
- Comic-Con 2014: Michael Douglas & Paul Rudd Talk ?Ant-Man' Costume
- Bachelorette After the Final Rose Recap: Andi Dorfman's Runner-Up Confronts Her About "Making Love" to Him
- Arie Luyendyk Jr., Farmer Chris Soules Being Considered for ABC's Next Bachelor: Details
- Rob Kardashian Resurfaces While Mom Kris Jenner Cries Over His Issues; Audrina Patridge and Corey Bohan Split: Top 5 Monday Stories