Scarlett and Sean Make It Official at Reese's Wedding
By Rob Shuter Posted Mar 28th 2011 09:05AM
If Reese Witherspoon was starring in a movie this weekend, it would've been titled 'Legally Married,' and by all accounts it was a smash hit. The 35-year-old beauty, who tied the knot with Jim Toth on Saturday, invited a parade of A-listers to watch her I do's, and two of them, Scarlett Johansson and date Sean Penn, darn near stole the show.
"Scarlett is Jim's client, but no one, including the bride, knew she would have turned up with Sean Penn," a friend of Scarlett's tells me. "Turning up at a wedding with your boyfriend is definitely a huge statement, especially that wedding. What it's doing is announcing to the whole of Hollywood that they are serious."
Reese and Jim wed in a private ceremony at Reese's ranch in Ojai, Calif., on Saturday with pre-wedding cocktail taking place before the 20-minute ceremony.
Reese wore a gown designed by Monique Lhuillier, and both her daughter and son with ex-husband Ryan Phillippe -- Ava, 11, and Deacon, 7 -- were part of the nuptials.
Also in attendance at the private wedding were Renee Zellweger, Tobey Maguire, Robert Downey Jr. and Alyssa Milano.
Sean, 50, and Scarlett, 26, were first spotted together earlier this year at a party in LA celebrating 'Black Swan.' They were then seen eating together in public with her legs draped over his lap. In early March, they jetted down to Mexico for a whirlwind daylong trip. Both are coming off unsuccessful marriages --to Ryan Reynolds and Robin Wright.
Both camps have stayed remarkably mum about the relationship, but there have been reports that "S-Squared" are next planning a trip to Haiti in the spring. The appearance at Reese and Jim's wedding appears to have been their official coming out to their Hollywood friends.
"Scarlett is head over heals in love with Sean," a friend of the actress tells me. "She normally tries to hide away from public attention, but when she's with Sean she doesn't care."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 27: Sound mixers Lora Hirschberg (2nd L), Gary A. Rizzo (C) and Ed Novick (2nd R), winners of the award for Best Sound Mixing for 'Inception', and presenters Matthew McConaughey (L) and Scarlett Johansson pose in the press room during the 83rd Annual Academy Awards held at the Kodak Theatre on February 27, 2011 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Good News -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Scarlett Johansson
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Scarlett Johansson Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Scooby-Doo's' Daphne goes from size 2 to size 8
- Former 'Jeopardy' contestant indicted for assaulting legislator's wife
- Robin Williams' ashes reportedly scattered in San Francisco Bay last week
- GSN's 'The Chase' and 'It Takes a Church' Renewed
- Watch Jimmy Fallon Trim Jared Leto's Beard
- Mo'ne Davis Pitches Record Ratings for Little League World Series
- Watch George Takei reference ?Deep Throat', ?Bambi' in same interview
- Former child star Jonathan Lipnicki is all grown up in ?You Used To Be Cute'
- Woman watches all the TV in EW's 24-Hour Emmys Binge Guide, lives
- Matthew Weiner on the Downside of Technology, the Warmth of Zack Galifianakis, and the 'Mad Men' Finale
- Kristen Stewart & Nicholas Hoult's Ice Bucket Challenge Is a Little Different (VIDEO)
- George R.R. Martin Teases Lots of Death in the Next 'Game of Thrones' Books