Shania Twain's Stalker Arrested at Juno Awards
By The Boot Editors Posted Mar 31st 2011 01:45AM
The man, a 50-year-old Ottawa doctor named Dr. Giovanni Palumbo, had been accused of stalking the Canadian superstar and has been under court order to stay 500 meters away from her.
"One of her people had spotted him," Detective Michael Jander told Canadian newspaper, the Toronto Sun. "He said he just wanted to meet her."
The arrest was made without incident, and the Ottawa doctor was ordered to appear in court at Old City Hall the morning after.
According to the newspaper, the doctor's medical license had been suspended but then was re-instated after he spent time at the Royal Ottawa Hospital as a mental health patient. He appeared in court March 7 in response to criminal harassment charges involving the Canadian songstress, but because Shania was out of the province and unable to appear in court, the charges against him were dropped.
The doctor will now stay in jail until at least Friday, April 1, at which time his bail hearing for alleged breaches of previous court orders will be heard. As Justice of the Peace John Jackson at Toronto's Old City Hall ordered Palumbo to "make no contact with Shania Twain," the doctor laughed and shook his head.
"You are all doing a wonderful job, Your Honour," he said. "I am in jail. How can I contact anybody? I am in jail."
Previous allegations state that Dr. Palumbo had been sending Shania letters and flowers in Switzerland and had shown up at her Muskoka cottage. He was also previously arrested for showing up another time, wearing a Shania T-shirt and carrying her autobiography.
Shania, who attended the awards show with new hubby Frederic Thiébaud, appeared to be blissfully unaware of what was going on behind the scenes as she basked in the glow of her formal induction.
"I feel wonderful in Canada, the people have never let me down," the glowing beauty told reporters backstage after receiving her lifetime achievement award. "The fans have been amazing. I just love this place. I'm at home here, and this is a really big moment. It feels really genuine in every way."
Get more at The Boot >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Christmas Jammies Family Makes Back-to-School "Baby Got Class" Parody: Watch Now!
- Chris Burke Reflects on Corky Character, Life Goes On, Down Syndrome on Upcoming Oprah: Where Are They Now? Episode
- Are You Ready For This? Sam Smith, Beyonce, Usher & Rita Ora Stun In VMA Rehearsals ? Sneak Peek Photo Special
- Outrage Over Woman Whose Dog Ate Marijuana ? PETA Calls It ‘A Stupid Thing’ To Do, Warns Of Potential Prosecution For Animal Abuse