Shenae Grimes: My Homeless Friends Are 'the Coolest People'
By Sarah Crow Posted Apr 1st 2011 05:15PM
The actress appeared on 'Chelsea Lately' last night to discuss her upcoming movie, 'Sugar,' in which she plays a homeless teenager.
Grimes told host Chelsea Handler that despite her star status, she befriended a number of the homeless kids while shooting the film and even spent time helping them beg for change.
"I'm a really good sidekick for 'spanging' -- that's what we call asking for spare change -- and I don't need it myself ... It all goes to them, but I help out where I can."
While the actress calls her homeless friends some of the "coolest people" she's met in Los Angeles, she admits that she has to be clear about her boundaries with her new pals.
"You have to have boundaries. I've definitely been asked if they can sleep on my floor and stuff like that. You walk a fine line ... but they're so much fun and they're so cool. You just have to cross that boundary and not be just a yuppie in their eyes."
Grimes, who stars in the upcoming 'Scream 4,' says that helping others should be a universal goal, and not just for those in a position of privilege. "It's just about reaching out," she told Handler. "As humankind, I think it's our responsibility to take care of each other."
Watch Shenae Grimes on 'Chelsea Lately.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Carrie Underwood Is "Forever Grateful to American Idol" on 10th Anniversary of Win
- Ryan Reynolds Is Following the Josh Duggar Molestation Scandal
- Gretchen Rossi Shakes Off Her Haters With Taylor Swift Lip Sync: See Real Housewives of Orange County Alum's Outrageous New Video
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- Amal Clooney's Elegant Yellow Gown Steals the Spotlight at George Clooney's Latest Premiere—Take a Look!
- Sandra Lee Leaves Hospital After Breast Cancer Surgery, Now at Home With Andrew Cuomo and Pet Birds
- Anne Meara's Son Ben Stiller Steps Out After Mom's Death, Thanks Friends and Fans—Read His Heartfelt Message