Toni Braxton Blames Her Health for Financial Woes
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 8th 2011 04:19PM
"I had health issues that led to my financial issues," she said on my HDNet show. "And my issues weren't necessarily me personally, financially. It was me, business."
The singer went through a tough stretch physically in 2007 and 2008. She had a benign lump removed from her breast, though never admitted having a cancer scare. Later, she was hospitalized and diagnosed with microvascular angina.
Toni filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in California last year. Official documents indicated she owed as much as $50 million to a range of creditors, including Wells Fargo Bank and The Four Seasons Hotels. She also owes large amounts to DMVs around California and Nevada.
The 'You're Makin' Me High' Grammy winner and her sister, Tamar, stopped by 'Naughty But Nice' to promote their new WE show, 'Braxton Family Values,' and they made sure to clear up that Toni is not living beyond her means anymore.
"I live well," she admits. "But instead of having three houses like I had, it's just not like that anymore."
In 'Braxton Family Values,' the singer finally decides to tell her side of the story. "It was my sisters idea to do the show," Toni tells me. "They told me I had to allow my fans into my life. That meant having cameras following me around."
To see the entire interview with Toni and her sister Tamar, tune in Saturday to HDNet for 'Naughty But Nice,' and find out why a collaboration with Lady Gaga is not out of the question.
'Braxton Family Values' debuts April 12 on WE tv.
► More 'NBN': My Chats With Joan Rivers, Wendy Williams and Cheryl Burke!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Bieber struggles with vocabulary, curses at court reporter during deposition
- '19 Kids and Counting' stars: We won't kiss until marriage
- ?True Detective' finale crashes HBO GO
- Zac Efron says he's up for more ?High School Musical,' and so are we
- ?Saturday Night Live' best host poll: Lena Dunham makes naked ploy for laughs ? VOTE
- Elisabeth Moss talks marriage and ?Mad Men' in ?New York' profile
- Are Robin Thicke and Paula Patton Reconciling?
- Is the Playboy Prince Engaged? See the Ring!
- Jennifer Aniston Says She Would Trade Bodies with? [Hint: It's a Supermodel]