Coldplay Invited to Open 2012 Olympic Games
By Spinner Editors Posted Apr 9th 2011 12:34PM
An inside source told the U.K.'s Daily Mirror, "Chris is at the top of the list to front the official record. He's a huge star and a British musical icon, with an international profile. We're pulling out all the stops to get hold of him, ideally with the rest of Coldplay involved, too."
The source added, "Coldplay are the biggest stadium rockers in Britain today, and their style of anthemic music would be perfect for the Olympics. It needs to be something inspirational. The hope is that they would perform at the opening ceremony, as well as [produce] the track, which could help fund good causes."
Coldplay aren't the only act in the running to perform at the event on July 27, 2012. Muse and Joss Stone are also under consideration to have moments in the spotlight. The opening ceremony is being helmed by artistic director Danny Boyle.
Martin, who's raising two children with wife Gwyneth Paltrow, keeps a much lower profile than his Oscar-winning spouse. But he was recently spotted at the world premiere of the Seth Rogen comedy 'Paul' in London. The film's co-star, Simon Pegg, is a close family friend of Martin and Paltrow, and godfather to their daughter, Apple.
Read more from Spinner here >>>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Filed under:
MORE ABOUT Gwyneth Paltrow
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Gwyneth Paltrow Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Power Rangers Samurai Star Ricardo Medina Jr. Arrested For Stabbing Roommate to Death With Sword: Report
- Bobby Brown Releases Statement on Bobbi Kristina's Condition: "Please Allow My Family to Give My Daughter the Love and Support She Needs"
- Chris O'Dowd, Wife Dawn O'Porter Welcome First Child, a Baby Boy Named Art O'Porter
- Steve Kroft's sexually explicit texts to mistress
- 'American Sniper' sets new Super Bowl weekend record
- Roseanne thinks Bill Cosby is guilty but still 'not the end' of his career
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out Looking Fit and Healthy During Rare Public Shopping Trip—Take a Look!
- President Barack Obama Sips Beer After Sharing Super Bowl Predictions, Sounds Off on Deflategate
- Bridesmaids Star Chris O'Dowd and Wife Dawn O'Porter Welcome a Baby Boy—See the Hilarious Announcement!