Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones Mock Don't Ask Don't Tell Stalemate
By Jo Piazza Posted Apr 11th 2011 08:37AM
The GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles last night celebrated the many milestones of equality for gay and lesbians that have been made in the past 12 months.
Hosts Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones stole the spotlight with a one act skit mocking the federal
government's continued stalemate to move forward on granting full rights to gays and lesbians in the military with the re-appeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell."
Rashida played a gay soldier who wanted to tell her platoon she was out of the closet.
"When can I tell them?" Jones asked Poehler playing her superior officer.
"Soon. 60 days," Poehler replied.
"60 days from today?" Jones said.
"No 60 days from when the people are ready," Poehler replied.
Rashida also gave a shout out to GLAAD award recipient Ricky Martin, inviting him to come back to the straights whenever he wants.
"Ricky I respect who you are and thank you for years of intense pleasure fantasies. Come back any time, boo," Jones joked.
Presenter Colin Farrell had an awkward moment backstage when he had to come out as straight to his publicist.
"I was with a friend backstage who looked at me and said 'I didn't know Amy Poehler is gay.' I said I didn't think you needed to be gay to present an award. I had to come out to my friend and tell her I was straight. She's my publicist," Farrell said.
But no one got more love than the one and only Dolly Parton who led the room in an a capella version of '9 to 5.' For Dolly's sake she had to rush off after then event to make a flight to London. It was a crowd that would have gone crazy for Dolly, if you let it.
- Filed under:
- TV News
MORE ABOUT Amy Poehler
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Amy Poehler Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sofia Vergara Understands Why She's "So Funny to Americans": Watch Us Weekly's Loose Talk!
- Kathie Lee Gifford: Kris Jenner Is "Trying to Get Her Act Together," Wants to Be a Good Friend to Bruce Jenner
- Daytime Emmys 2015 Best Dressed: See Tyra Banks' Edgy Take on the Jumpsuit Trend, Plus More Show-Stopping Red Carpet Styles!
- Khloé Kardashian & Kim Kardashian Share Clothing Again—Which Sister Wore the Sexy White Dress Best?
- Chris Evans Shaved His Glorious Beard for Captain America: Civil War and the World Is in Mourning
- Queen Latifah on Homosexuality: ''I Don't Find Being Gay or Lesbian to Be a Character Flaw''