Natalie Portman Gives Up Vegan Diet
By Sarah Crow Posted Apr 11th 2011 10:00AM
The former self-proclaimed "vegan activist" realized that continuing to live free of all animal products no longer suited her, Us Weekly reports.
Portman, who adopted a vegan diet after reading Jonathan Safran Foer's book, 'Eating Animals,' told Atlanta's Q100 Bert Show, "I actually went back to being vegetarian when I became pregnant, just because I felt like I wanted that stuff. I was listening to my body to have eggs and dairy and that sort of stuff."
The actress, who recently launched a line of vegan shoes with company Te Casan, said of the switch, "If you're not eating eggs, then you can't have cookies or cake from regular bakeries, which can become a problem when that's all you want to eat."
"I actually wanted eggs at the beginning and then they grossed me out after awhile," she says of her broadened diet. "I know there are people who do stay vegan," she added, "but I think you have to just be careful, watch your iron levels and your B12 levels and supplement those if there are things you might be low in in your diet."
So is the switch permanent? It seems likely that Portman, who is due this summer, may revert to her former diet after giving birth, considering her strong convictions.
"We are capable of considering others' minds and others' pain," she told the Huffington Post of others who favor a vegan lifestyle. "Whereas those who justify eating animals say the same thing: We are not them. They do not merit the same value of being as us. They are not us."
MORE ABOUT Natalie Portman
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Natalie Portman Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lindsay Lohan: I had a miscarriage
- 'Game of Thrones' recap: Who killed the king?
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at 43
- Beijing Film Fest: Chis Dodd Presents Prize to Film Workshop Winner
- Joss Whedon Releases His Latest Film via Vimeo for $5 (Video)
- Simon Cowell's 'Britain's Got Talent' Wins Saturday Ratings Battle, Audience Drops
- ?Turn' react: It's Jamie Bell's show after all
- Neil Patrick Harris yells at fan during ?Hedwig' performance
- PopWatch Planner: ?Parks and Rec' finale, ?The Blacklist' big episode, ?John Oliver' premiere, and more
- Weekend Box Office: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Again, 'Transcendence' Disappoints
- The 101 Best Sports Movies of All Time
- 'The Normal Heart' Trailer: Mark Ruffalo Speaks Out (VIDEO)