'Idol' May Not Even Allow Pia Toscano to Release CD
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 11th 2011 11:00AM
Just days after getting voted off 'American Idol' in shocking fashion, songstress Pia Toscano reportedly snapped up a record deal with Interscope Records, but sources tell me nothing has been signed as management looks into whether 19 Entertainment will allow her to release anything at all.
"When you compete on 'Idol,' you must sign one of the strictest contracts in the business," a former 'AI' contestant tells me. "Not only does 'Idol' own you for the entire show and live tour that follows, it also controls everything you can do professionally for a long period after that."
That means that 19 Entertainment has first crack at every artist.
Pia's rep told E! News over the weekend that all the talk about a done deal is "all rumor," but it's completely true that Interscope has big plans for the Queens native, if only they can get their hands on her.
As previously reported, Interscope is already calling every top songwriter and producer to get an album together and rush-release it before the end of the season, but none of this matters unless 'Idol' allows her to do it.
"No way do the producers want a contestant who was kicked off having a hit record when the winner hasn't even been announced yet," another 'Idol' insider tells me. "The first hit song has always been from the winner and this year will be no different."
If you start having singers who were voted off charting before the show has wrapped, then the entire process loses credibility, my source contends.
"This is about protecting the brand, not about protecting Pia," the insider says. "She can record as many songs as she wants, but 'Idol' will refuse to allow them to be released for now until the show is over."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Don Rickles recovering from flesh-eating disease
- Is ?Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom' a good way to learn about the life of Nelson Mandela?
- Carrie Undewood tweets Bible verse in response to critics
- Paul Rudd and One Direction take on ?Saturday Night Live': Talk about it here!
- ?The Following' season 1 video recaps ? EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS
- ?Sound of Music Live!': The original film's Von Trapp children respond
- Grammy Nominations 2014: Jay Z, Mackelmore & Ryan Lewis Top the List
- Twerkin' on Santa? Miley Cyrus Not Nice in Naughty Jingle Ball Performance
- Vin Diesel Shares Heartbreaking Moment with Paul Walker's Mother