'Idol' May Not Even Allow Pia Toscano to Release CD
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 11th 2011 11:00AM
Just days after getting voted off 'American Idol' in shocking fashion, songstress Pia Toscano reportedly snapped up a record deal with Interscope Records, but sources tell me nothing has been signed as management looks into whether 19 Entertainment will allow her to release anything at all.
"When you compete on 'Idol,' you must sign one of the strictest contracts in the business," a former 'AI' contestant tells me. "Not only does 'Idol' own you for the entire show and live tour that follows, it also controls everything you can do professionally for a long period after that."
That means that 19 Entertainment has first crack at every artist.
Pia's rep told E! News over the weekend that all the talk about a done deal is "all rumor," but it's completely true that Interscope has big plans for the Queens native, if only they can get their hands on her.
As previously reported, Interscope is already calling every top songwriter and producer to get an album together and rush-release it before the end of the season, but none of this matters unless 'Idol' allows her to do it.
"No way do the producers want a contestant who was kicked off having a hit record when the winner hasn't even been announced yet," another 'Idol' insider tells me. "The first hit song has always been from the winner and this year will be no different."
If you start having singers who were voted off charting before the show has wrapped, then the entire process loses credibility, my source contends.
"This is about protecting the brand, not about protecting Pia," the insider says. "She can record as many songs as she wants, but 'Idol' will refuse to allow them to be released for now until the show is over."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty to threatening to kill
- ?Jurassic World' trailer hits the web
- All three members of Migos hip-hop group arrested after concert
- 'Real Housewives of Orange County' Star Slams Cheating Rumors, Shocked by Divorce
- Bobby Brown Clarifies Conflicting Reports on Bobbi Kristina's Condition
- Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin Move Forward to Finalizing Divorce
- Nick Loeb Defends His Lawsuit Against Sofia Vergara: "I Have Always Dreamed of Being a Father"
- Liza Minnelli Exits Rehab, Is All Smiles While Dining at Lisa Vanderpump's Restaurant ? Details
- Porsha Williams Says Supporting Real Housewives of Atlanta Costar Phaedra Parks Was "Easy"