'Idol' May Not Even Allow Pia Toscano to Release CD
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 11th 2011 11:00AM
Just days after getting voted off 'American Idol' in shocking fashion, songstress Pia Toscano reportedly snapped up a record deal with Interscope Records, but sources tell me nothing has been signed as management looks into whether 19 Entertainment will allow her to release anything at all.
"When you compete on 'Idol,' you must sign one of the strictest contracts in the business," a former 'AI' contestant tells me. "Not only does 'Idol' own you for the entire show and live tour that follows, it also controls everything you can do professionally for a long period after that."
That means that 19 Entertainment has first crack at every artist.
Pia's rep told E! News over the weekend that all the talk about a done deal is "all rumor," but it's completely true that Interscope has big plans for the Queens native, if only they can get their hands on her.
As previously reported, Interscope is already calling every top songwriter and producer to get an album together and rush-release it before the end of the season, but none of this matters unless 'Idol' allows her to do it.
"No way do the producers want a contestant who was kicked off having a hit record when the winner hasn't even been announced yet," another 'Idol' insider tells me. "The first hit song has always been from the winner and this year will be no different."
If you start having singers who were voted off charting before the show has wrapped, then the entire process loses credibility, my source contends.
"This is about protecting the brand, not about protecting Pia," the insider says. "She can record as many songs as she wants, but 'Idol' will refuse to allow them to be released for now until the show is over."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone Say ?Aloha' to New Romantic Comedy
- Comedy Great Anne Meara of Stiller & Meara, Ben Stiller's Mom, Dies at 85
- Confirmed: Prince Harry Finally Meets His Niece!
- Jessa Duggar's Father-in-Law Michael Seewald Responds to Josh Duggar's Molestation Allegations: "Hang In There"
- Anna Duggar Shared Cryptic Quote About Forgiveness Days Before Josh Duggar Molestation Allegations Surfaced
- Kris Jenner Shares "Fun and Silly" Text Messages From Rob Kardashian and Kids