'Idol' May Not Even Allow Pia Toscano to Release CD
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 11th 2011 11:00AM
Just days after getting voted off 'American Idol' in shocking fashion, songstress Pia Toscano reportedly snapped up a record deal with Interscope Records, but sources tell me nothing has been signed as management looks into whether 19 Entertainment will allow her to release anything at all.
"When you compete on 'Idol,' you must sign one of the strictest contracts in the business," a former 'AI' contestant tells me. "Not only does 'Idol' own you for the entire show and live tour that follows, it also controls everything you can do professionally for a long period after that."
That means that 19 Entertainment has first crack at every artist.
Pia's rep told E! News over the weekend that all the talk about a done deal is "all rumor," but it's completely true that Interscope has big plans for the Queens native, if only they can get their hands on her.
As previously reported, Interscope is already calling every top songwriter and producer to get an album together and rush-release it before the end of the season, but none of this matters unless 'Idol' allows her to do it.
"No way do the producers want a contestant who was kicked off having a hit record when the winner hasn't even been announced yet," another 'Idol' insider tells me. "The first hit song has always been from the winner and this year will be no different."
If you start having singers who were voted off charting before the show has wrapped, then the entire process loses credibility, my source contends.
"This is about protecting the brand, not about protecting Pia," the insider says. "She can record as many songs as she wants, but 'Idol' will refuse to allow them to be released for now until the show is over."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Trial date set in $100 million Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker lawsuit
- 'Gone Baby Gone' actor Sean Malone dies at 54
- Oklahoma judge defends sealing divorce of Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert
- Charlize Theron & Sean Penn Reunite in South Africa… Sort Of
- Kylie Jenner to Be Paid to Legally Drink at 18th Birthday Party
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Brother Lashes Out at 'Morbid' Twitter Followers: 'They Don't Love You Till You're Famous or Gone'
- Guy Ritchie Marries Jacqui Ainsley -- and Brad Pitt Attends the Wedding!
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner's Ex-Nanny Christine Ouzounian Steps Out Smiling After Romance Reveal: Picture
- Amanda Seyfried Chops Her Long, Lush Hair Into a Chic Lob for Locks of Love: See the Photos!