MTV's New 'Teen Wolf' Star Tyler Hoechlin Turned Down 'Twilight' Role
By Nicki Gostin Posted Apr 13th 2011 11:35AM
If Tyler Hoechlin looks familiar, it could very well be because he played Tom Hanks' son in 2002's 'Road to Perdition.' Now he's about to become more familiar as he stars in MTV's 'Teen Wolf,' which debuts in June.
The strikingly handsome (and almost sickeningly modest) 23-year-old toyed with a career in professional baseball; he somehow ended up talking to PopEater about playing a hirsute lupine and turning down a big role in 'Twilight.'
So is the new 'Teen Wolf' like the Michael J. Fox movie?
The title is definitely the same. However the show is nothing like the original. It's much darker, so no hairy basketball shots. We just finished shooting; we shot in Atlanta for six months, so I'm moving back into my apartment. If feels like I'm moving in all over again.
So you're very good at baseball.
I used to play a little.
Did you ever thinking of going pro?
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of going pro. I played three years of college baseball. The last time when I was in a situation where I had to pick between baseball and acting, I turned down a role in 'Twilight.'
Ouch. It wasn't the role, was it?
Not Edward. I would have played Edward's brother. So this time when my coach gave me an ultimatum between the two, I decided to choose acting and pursue that full time.
Ever regret it?
Oh there are twinges. I miss it for sure, there's no getting around it. I don't think there's anyone who plays baseball for that long who can just walk away and not have part of themselves with the game and love everything about it. I get to live vicariously through it now. I have a bunch of buddies who are playing in the big leagues. My best friend from college is the first baseman for the Mets.
Who do you root for?
Now I root for players. When the Mets play the Reds it's hard because my one buddy will be pitching and my other buddy will be hitting, so it's hard to know who to root for.
Who is your favorite player of all time?
I'm going to get some flak for this, but Barry Bonds. But if I had to pick one player who I had to say should represent baseball as the game should be, it would be Derek Jeter.
See a 'Teen Wolf' trailer:
Can you slice salami on your cheekbones? They are so angular!
[Laughs] That's a new one. I guess we could give it a try one of these days.
Ever get rejected by a girl?
Yes, I've gotten those for sure, it's definitely happened. I have a girl now; we've been together for a while so I don't have to worry about rejection anymore.
When you did 'Road to Perdition' did you realize what a big deal that was, starring with Tom Hanks, Paul Newman and Jude Law?
No, and I'm kind of glad I didn't because had I been a little bit older and understood what I was doing and who those people really were, I would have been scared out of my mind. It's definitely an experience I can appreciate more now looking back on it.
Your last name sounds like something is stuck in the back of your throat.
Yes, that's how it should sound when pronounced properly. It's German. I debated changing the spelling but I'm leaving it. It's a conversation piece.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Are Married; Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox have Friends Reunion: Top 5 Stories
- Britney Spears and Boyfriend David Lucado Split: Details
- Kim Kardashian Wears Curve-Hugging Ensemble On Date With Kanye West: PIC
- Joan Rivers In Medically Induced Coma – Report
- Britney ?Betrayed!' Boyfriend Caught On Tape With Another Woman ? She's ?Devastated,' Says Source
- ?Begin Again' With Adam Levine Hits Theaters In Re-Release ? WATCH His Extended Performance Of ?Lost Stars'
- New Zack Morris: Unauthorized story 'a love letter' to Saved By The Bell
- Pregnant or burrito grande?
- Joan Rivers in intensive care, critical condition at hospital
- Mila Kunis Continues to Go to Yoga as Her Baby Bump Gets Bigger and Bigger
- Total Divas Star Ariane Andrew Dishes on Boyfriend Vincent: "Maybe We'll Have a Wedding in the Future"
- Miley Cyrus Poses Naked With a Bunch of Stuffed Animals for V Magazine—See the Racy Pics!