Katie and Matt Still Have 'It' in 'TODAY' Reunion
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 13th 2011 09:16AM
Katie Couric appeared on the 'TODAY' show Wednesday morning "a little older and no wiser," she said. It was obvious from the second her interview with former co-host Matt Lauer began that they still have a dynamic and unbeatable chemistry.
"If this was an audition for a new talk show, then they both would get the job," one TV executive tells me. "They just have it. From the moment they sat down together everyone could see that they are magic together. Chemistry in this business is everything. If you like the hosts viewers tune in and these two together are adorable."
The two laughed together about recent rumors dominating the headlines on Katie's future, including one that the pair will once again pair up for a new syndicated talk show.
When Matt asked if it was fair to say Katie has made a decision but was not yet willing to announce it, she promised that she hadn't and might even stay at CBS.
"I'm in the middle of figuring out where would be the best place for me, what would be the best job for me," she said. "I'm gonna call you as soon as I know."
Katie is telling the truth. She really has not made a decision yet, a friend of the TV star tells me.
"It does look like her own syndicated talk show would be her first choice," my source says. "It would give her the more creative freedom and show off her personality. But will it be alone or maybe with Matt?"
It was announced last week that Katie will be leaving 'CBS Evening News' after five years on the job. No departure date has been set, but her contract expires June 4. She had been expected to stay on through the 2012 elections.
Matt tried mightily to get Katie to show her hand a bit, but being a pro, the CBS newswoman held strong. Since a syndication talk show appears to be the direction she's headed, Matt asked her what is drawing her to an independent show.
"I think what might appeal to me [in a syndicated talk show] is just the creative freedom to pick subjects. To really dig deep. To have a smart, intelligent conversation," she said. "You know me, Matt. I'm like [makes funny face] whaaaaa. That's the kind of person I am, so it might be nice to have a little more wiggle room for me to show my personality."
And as Katie pointed out this morning, no one is more methodical at thinking through decisions then him. "I want to take a page from you book," Katie joked before saying goodbye.
MORE ABOUT Katie Couric
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Katie Couric Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Paris Hilton Returns in Steamy Carl's Jr. Ad With Bikini-Clad Sports Illustrated Model Hannah Ferguson: Exclusive Picture
- Angelina Jolie: Brad Pitt and I Exchanged Handwritten Love Letters During Unbroken, Fury Filming
- Meryl Streep, Anna Kendrick Star in First Into the Woods Theatrical Trailer: Watch
- Healthy Drinks — Healthy Relationship? Tori Spelling & Dean McDermott Look To Be Back On Track In Malibu
- Low Blow? Tamra Judge's Ex Simon Barney Slams Her Amid Reports She's Been Fired From ?RHOC' ? ?What Goes Around Comes Around'
- So It's Root, Root, Root For Orlando! Leonardo DiCaprio Shouts In Favor Of Bloom Over Justin Bieber In Ibiza Incident
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day