'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' Canceled by ABC
By AOL TV Editors Posted Apr 14th 2011 03:15PM
ABC has pulled the plug on its long-running soaps 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'
According to the network, the final episode of 'All My Children' will air this September. 'One Life to Live' will air through January 2012. The network will replace the soaps with two new shows, 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'
"'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture's history," Brian Frons, president of daytime at Disney ABC/Television Group, said in a statement. "Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history."
TV Squad first reported the 'All My Children' cancellation rumors in March. The show has been the home to Susan Lucci and her classic character Erica Kane for more than 30 years.
'General Hospital' will not be affected by ABC's daytime changes.
"We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days," Fons said. "While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is."
Since its debut 41 years ago, 'All My Children' has been a launching ground for many stars, including Sarah Michelle Gellar and Amanda Seyfried. Recent Oscar-winner Melissa Leo also had a brief stint on the soap. 'AMC' has also been home to Susan Lucci as Erica Kane, one of the most familiar faces in TV. Lucci is the only original cast member still on the series.
Viewers will also remember Kelly Ripa as Hayley long before she became the co-host of 'Live! With Regis and Kelly.'
'One Life to Live' debuted as a half-hour show in 1968 before transforming into a full-fledged hour-long soap ten years later. The show broadcast its 10,000th episode in 2007. 'One Life to Live' has its own noted alumni too. Tommy Lee Jones, Dixie Carter, Judith Light, Marcia Cross and Ryan Phillippe all appeared on the soap.
Both shows were created by Agnes Nixon and take place in fictional towns modeled after Philadelphia suburbs.
"More than 40 years ago, Agnes Nixon created both the worlds of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' worlds that the rest of us have been privileged to live in," Frons said. "Her shows led the way forward, breaking a lot of rules along the way to defy expectations about what soaps can do and the issues they can cover. I am honored to have worked with her."
As for the new shows, Fons said, "[Audiences] are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on 'real life' takeaways. A perfect example of this is 'The View,' and that factored into our decision. 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution' are in the same vein and will be great additions to the lineup, with 'The View' serving as an ideal foundation from which to launch these programs. They will also provide enormous opportunity for the creation of ancillary businesses and growth."
Get more at TV Squad.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ty Herndon, Country Singer, Comes Out as Gay: "I Get to Be Free Today"
- Miranda Lambert Fans Raise $66,000 for Her MuttNation Foundation Charity
- Pitch Perfect 2 Trailer Debuts, Bellas Go to World Championships: Watch
- Not A Chance! ?RHOA' Star Phaedra Parks Slams Incarcerated Apollo Nida's Talk Of Reconciliation: Divorce Is ?Proceeding As Planned’
- Watch As Teresa & Joe Enjoy Rare Family Pre-Prison Moment In Clip For Tonight’s Special Episode
- Kim Kardashian: My Post-Baby ?Paper' Body Is Best I've Ever Had, Used Hair Oil To Grease Up For Pics
- Report: Seventh woman claims publicly that Bill Cosby sexually assaulted her
- Keira Knightley feared being fired from 'Pirates'
- 'Jeopardy!' Tournament of Champions: Fan favorite Julia Collins against 11-time winner Arthur Chu
- How to Get Away With Murder's Jack Falahee on the Fate of "Coliver" and Why Sam's Killer Will Surprise You
- How Reese Witherspoon Almost Scared Herself Out of Making Wild—Watch Now!
- Kim Kardashian "Would Support" Daughter North West Posing Completely Nude in the Future