Fanboys Rejoice! 'The Hobbit' Is Finally Filming and There's Behind-The-Scenes Video To Prove It
By John Mitchell Posted Apr 15th 2011 10:40AM
Production on the big-budget films was delayed for several years due to disputes over the distribution rights, financial troubles at MGM, which shared ownership rights with New Line, the tumultuous departure of the films' initial director, Guillermo del Toro ('Pans Labyrinth'), a labor dispute in New Zealand and Jackson's decision to join the film as director (he also co-wrote the screenplays with del Torro and long-time collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens).
Watch the behind-the-scenes video below (via Gossip Cop):
Many 'Lord of the Rings' castmembers are returning to work on Jackson's adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's beloved novel. 'The Hobbit' tells the story of Bilbo Baggins quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. As part of his adventure, Bilbo travels with Gandalf the Grey and a group of 13 dwarves, led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield, into the wilds of Middle-Earth and right into the path of goblins, orcs, giant spiders, shape shifters and sorcerers. Bilbo ultimately meets the creature Gollum and gains possession of his "precious" ring, a simple gold band that is tied to the fate of all Middle-Earth.
Fans of the three award-winning 'Lord of the Rings' films know where things go from there.
Multiple actors from the 'LOTR' movies are reprising their roles in Jackson's prequels, including Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, Orlando Bloom as Legolas and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Martin Freeman ('Hot Fuzz') will play Bilbo Baggins and British actor Richard Armitageis set to take on Thorin. Liv Tyler and Viggo Mortensen are among the few principle actors from 'LOTR' who will not be returning to work with Jackson.
The scripts for the films are being kept top secret. So secret, in fact, that Blanchett told Collider while promoting her latest film, 'Hanna,' that she hasn't even seen them yet and doesn't know when she begins filming. "Obviously Galadriel is only a small part of the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, but it was probably the best three weeks I ever had," she said. "I haven't seen a script [for 'The Hobbit'] yet, so I don't know what I'll be doing. Galadriel doesn't factor very strongly in 'The Hobbit.' ... I think it's in the middle of the year that it is happening."
MORE ABOUT Cate Blanchett
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Cate Blanchett Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Blake Shelton grows up on new album 'Bringing Back the Sunshine'
- Norway Funeral Home refuses to bury Casey Kasem
- Amanda Bynes arrested on on suspicion of DUI
- Disney Sets New 'Jake' Special With 'Fosters' Star Maia Mitchell as Wendy Darling (Exclusive)
- Zurich: Dan Gilroy on Casting L.A. News Anchor Royalty for 'Nightcrawler'
- FCC Sacks NFL Blackout Rule In Unanimous Vote
- New Banksy artwork appears in English seaside town
- Why Kirby v. Marvel mattered
- You need to watch ?The Simpsons' premiere's insane opening sequence
- David Fincher Considered Directing 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Sequel Set as Netflix's First Feature Film
- Best of Late Night TV: Ben Affleck's 'Frozen'-Obsessed Kids, NPH's Wedding, Aretha Franklin Covers Adele (VIDEO)