The Snarky Campaign to Send M. Night Shyamalan Back to Film School
By Moviefone Editors Posted Apr 17th 2011 04:00PM
After sweeping this year's Razzies for his 2010 flop 'The Last Airbender,' can it get any worse?
Maybe. Three movie fans are trying to raise $150,000 to send Shyamalan back to film school.
Chris Baker, a copywriter and author, was first inspired last year in a movie theater, when the phrase "from the mind of M. Night Shyamalan" (during a trailer for 'Devil') drew laughs from the crowd.
In developing his joke idea, Baker was soon joined by two advertising buddies, one of whom proposed "M. Night School" as a name for the site. When news broke that the Philadelphia-based Shyamalan was planning to step behind the camera yet again -- for '1000 A.E.' starring 'Karate Kid' Jaden Smith and his dad, Will Smith -- the trio went live with their campaign.
So far, around $520 has been raised. Baker agrees that yes, Shyamalan "will probably be a little hurt" when he finds out about the site. Still, "his movies do make money, for better or for worse, which is kind of the irony of the whole thing," says Baker.
Even if the wildly ambitious goal of raising $150,000 is met, Baker expects Shyamalan to turn it down. "We want to do a stunt where we present him with a giant check. Obviously, as he's a multimillionaire, he'll refuse it."
The backup sounds like the far more noble plan: Hold a festival in New York for young filmmakers aspiring to attend NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. The winner will receive the money raised -- as a scholarship in Shyamalan's name.
Hey, it just might be the greatest contribution to moviemaking Shyamalan has made since 'The Sixth Sense.'
Read more from Moviefone here >>>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Anita Baker sued by lawyer who claims she owes him money
- Country trio Lady Antebellum's adult sound on new album '747'
- Dylan Sellers Exits The Weinstein Company
- 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' Star Nabs Lead in Nicholas Sparks Adaptation 'The Choice'
- Universal Extends Emerging Writers Fellowship for Second Year
- New Banksy artwork appears in English seaside town
- Why Kirby v. Marvel mattered
- You need to watch ?The Simpsons' premiere's insane opening sequence
- Miles Teller Says 'Fantastic Four' Reboot Is 'Different in Every Way' From Original
- 11 Essential 'Gilmore Girls' Episodes You Should Definitely Watch On Netflix (VIDEO)
- 'Tetris' Will Become a Movie for Some Reason