What's With Nicolas Cage and His Quirky Love Life?
By Nicki Gostin Posted Apr 18th 2011 11:15AM
Nicolas Cage's arrest for domestic violence and disturbing the peace early Saturday morning is not the first time the Oscar-winning actor has made headlines for his personal life. Cage, who has starred in huge mainstream hits like 'Con Air' and quirkier fare like 'Adaptation,' has been married three times and has a grown son with an ex-girlfriend.
His first marriage was to Patricia Arquette. The genesis of their relationship is the stuff of tabloid heaven. Legend has it that when the pair first met, the instantly besotted Cage declared his love and intention to marry her.
The amused Arquette gave Cage a list of objects to obtain in order to prove his love, which apparently included a black orchid (they don't exist) and reclusive author J.D. Salinger's autograph. The two parted but reconnected in 1995 and apparently this time it was Arquette who proposed marriage by appearing at Cage's doorstep dressed head to toe in black vinyl carrying a large purple wedding cake.
They divorced six years later, but the odd thing is that in Cage's divorce petition it stated that the couple separated only nine months after they wed.
Cage, who won teen girls hearts with 'Valley Girl' in 1984, then immediately went on to marry rock and roll royalty: Lisa Marie Presley. They had an unusual courtship and marriage, to say the least. The pair often argued and after a stormy altercation aboard Cage's yacht, Lisa Marie reportedly tossed her $65,000 engagement ring overboard. Divers were dispatched, but the rock was never recovered.
Still, in August 2002 the pair wed in a secret wedding in Hawaii. A blissful 107 days later, they separated and eventually (meaning a length of time much longer than their actual marriage) divorced
In an unusually frank and honest statement, Lisa Marie said, "I'm sad about this but we shouldn't have married in the first place. It was a big mistake."
Cage met his current wife, Alice Kim, in February 2004 when she was a 20-year-old waitress at Le Prive restaurant in Los Angeles. The pair were engaged two months later and wed that July. Their son Kal-el was born that October. His unusual name comes from Cage's love of Superman.
Kal-el isn't Cage's only offspring, though. He has a 20-year-old son, Weston, with ex-girlfriend Christina Fulton.
MORE ABOUT Nicolas Cage
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Nicolas Cage Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Luke Bryan reaches out to dying teenager on Twitter
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting: How I found out nude pics had leaked
- Jason Aldean: Get over affair and stop calling me 'bro country'
- Warner Bros. Producing Prequel to Hit Mexican Toon 'Top Cat'
- 'Fashion Police' to Continue Despite Joan Rivers' Death
- Decked Out: Singer Alexa Ray Joel's Old Hollywood-Meets-Bohemian Glamour
- Entertainment Geekly: ?Super Smash Bros.' was the best and worst thing to happen to Nintendo
- Hear three tracks from the all-star ?Here Lies Love' remix album
- Our Hopes for 'The Good Wife' Season 6: Alicia Florrick, State's Attorney?
- Marvel's 'Deadpool' Gets 2016 Release Date -- And Maybe Ryan Reynolds
- CBS Is Giving 'Supergirl' Her Own Show