Kenny Chesney Serenades to a Cancer Patient at Concert
By The Boot Editors Posted Apr 20th 2011 01:45AM
According to KWCH-TV, the superstar randomly choose to bring Carrington onstage and then serenaded her with 'Summertime.'
"I fell asleep that night with a smile on my face," Carrington, who was diagnosed with acute lymphoma leukemia in September 2008, told the CBS-TV affiliate.
Several generous events led to the meeting, including the kindness of two "nice, tall men" who made room in front of the stage and a woman who offered to help hoist Carrington up for a better view.
"I was so moved by all the people who reached out to help us that night," reports the teenager's aunt, Therese O'Neal, who took her niece to the concert. "They didn't know Carrington was sick. Kenny Chesney didn't know she's sick. No one there knew. Yet they were kind and generous enough to let us have their spot."
On top of that, it was someone's generosity that had the pair at the concert to begin with. Carrington's mother had been pursuing tickets in an auction, but was surpassed by an anonymous bidder who then donated them to Carrington. Another chance meeting got them even closer. "Someone came over and asked if we wanted these bracelets to get to the stage," the teen recalls. "And we said, 'OK, we'll try them out.'"
Once they got to the stage, Kenny took over. "Just as we lifted Carrington up onto our shoulders, Kenny Chesney turned around, pointed to her, and just started walking over to her," Therese explained. "He gets over to her, grabs her hand and just yanks her on the stage with him."
"It was amazing," Carrington gushes. "I couldn't breathe at all. I just kind of stood there."
In the heat of the moment, Carrington and Therese weren't able to get a picture of her sharing the spotlight with the country superstar, but luckily some fans stopped the two before they left the show to let them know they'd snapped their own photos and would email them to her.
Get more at The Boot >>
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- David Schwimmer is set to play Robert Kardashian in new show
- Madonna gives her fans an "early Christmas gift"
- Report: Sony music bigwigs 'freaking out' their hefty salaries will be revealed
- Rumor Bust! Authorities Did NOT Raid Teresa Giudice's Home
- Win It! Ramy Beauty Therapy Skincare and Makeup Collection
- 'Bates Motel' Goes Full 'Psycho' in New Promo
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher Caught on Kiss Cam Two Months After Daughter Wyatt's Arrival
- David Schwimmer Cast as Robert Kardashian Sr. Opposite Cuba Gooding Jr. in O.J. Simpson's American Crime Story
- Uma Thurman Goes Without Makeup, Rocks the Cape Trend in NYC: See the Photos!