Melania Trump Wants to See Obama's Birth Certificate: 'Does He Have It?'
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 21st 2011 08:04PM
Melania Trump will stand by her husband whether he decides to run for president or not, but the model-turned-jewelry designer isn't about to reveal which way The Donald is leaning. "It's too soon," she told me this week, noting that he has to wait until 'Celebrity Apprentice' finishes its run. "Of course we talk about it and I'll support him no matter what he decides."
The possible First Lady also has her husband's back when it comes to the issue he's getting the most mileage out of lately: President Barack Obama's birth certificate. She strongly defends Donald's focus on the hot-button topic and assures he's not alone in his suspicion.
"Well, I think it's not only my husband that wants to see the birth certificate," she said. "I think it's a lot of American people who voted for him and who didn't vote for President Obama. They want to see it."
Melania says people are just downright frustrated. "They ask him where it is and why he doesn't show it. Does he have it? Where is it? Why not show it? What's the big deal? I could show my birth certificate. What's the problem?"
She told me she keeps 5-year-old son Barron's certificate in a drawer near his passport!
Hawaii state officials swear that they have inspected Obama's original document and a copy, the Certification of Live Birth, was released during the presidential campaign.
Even so, Donald has taken up the birth certificate, making it one of his favorite issues while hitting the interview circuit. Just today, he called in to Fox News to say "I think I've made my decision" on running and he vowed to continue to talk about Obama's birth.
This focus on the issue has puzzled some, but its popularity doesn't surprise Melania. "So, the media really latched on to it. They really like that talk," she said. "But he's also for bringing jobs back and the economy and taking care of people that are working so hard and to bring this country back to where it once was."
Melania says the prospect of being First Lady and living in the White House is "something that's exciting but we never know what will happen."
And she lavished her possible predecessor with praise for her style and said she'd look great in her 'Melania' jewelry and timepieces line (which she's pitching on QVC on Monday, April 25 at 1 PM and 11 PM ET).
"Yes, she has very nice style! She would look great in my jewelry," she said. "Anybody, no matter who you are, the First Lady, your mom at home with a child, your a businesswoman. You can wear my jewelry."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Highbrow -
- Politics -
- TV News -
- Interviews -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Donald Trump
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Donald Trump Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sofia Vergara's Ex-Fiance Nick Loeb Sneaks Up on Her at Red Carpet Event -- See the Awkward Pic!
- Blake Lively Shows Off Baby Bump, Cleavage While Ryan Reynolds Looks On Adoringly
- Kate Middleton's Back on Duty, Pregnant Duchess Recovers From Morning Sickness
- Oscar Pistorius, Sentenced To 5 Years, Might Be Out Of Jail In 10 Months
- Speak-The-Plow! The ?Old Lindsay Lohan Is Back' & We Are ?Really Proud Of Her,' Says Friend
- ?Dembabies' Ain't Going Anywhere! Judge Throws Out Woman's Maternity Claim She's The Real Mother Of Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon's Twins
- Kris Jenner on Bruce's changing appearance: 'I don't know what he's going through'
- Gene Simmons: Young women should marry older men
- Country singer Martina McBride pursues cooking passion