Jerry Springer on Trump: He's 'Flavor of the Month'
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 22nd 2011 06:02PM
"Remember when you were a little kid and a wise guy at the back of the class would shout things out?" Jerry asks. "That's Trump. He makes you laugh and giggle."
The TV legend, 67, tells me that "right now, Trump is enjoyable" and that he's gamely filling the role left by the sudden (and surprising) exit of another media darling. Says Jerry, "Sarah Palin is no longer the flavor of the month, so Trump is."
And though it's early yet in the race for the White House, Jerry -- who was mayor of Cincinnati and nearly ran for the U.S. Senate eight years back -- isn't impressed with the competition so far.
"I don't think any of these people are going to beat Obama," he tells me. "Republicans have overreached. Do we really want a country without Medicare?"
On the flip side, Jerry thinks Obama is doing fine and that his "heart is in the right place."
"He can't get everything he wants with Republicans controlling Congress fighting him," he says. "We have a class war going on at the moment. The powerful are stacking the deck in favor of the rich, which is why the gap is getting wider between the rich and poor."
► Flashback to Last Year: Jerry Springer Defends His Talk Show Guests, Praises Sarah Palin
Jerry backed down from a possible run for the Senate in 2003 partly because of the negative reputation he gets because of his admittedly silly talk show, which first aired in 1991.
For starters, Jerry admits to me that he almost never watches his own show but he's confident of why it's endured and thrived for so long.
"It's so stupid," he says. "Our niche is outrageous, so we are not competing with anyone. We have cornered the market. It's total escapism, where we never pretend to be anything we are not. It's hard to find a job that is this much fun. It keeps me young."
Besides watching his outrageous talk show, be sure to check Jerry out on the game show 'Baggage,' only on GSN.
Jerry Springer Snapshots
NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 13: Jerry Springer (celebrating his 20th year in television) and Steve Wilkos (L) are honored on the wall of fame at The Palm on April 13, 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Glikas/Getty Images)
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Politics -
- TV News -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alexa Ray Joel Celebrates Dad Billy Joel's Wedding With Sweet Poem
- Alison Brie Slays Salt-N-Pepa's "Shoop" in Lip Sync Battle Sneak Peek: Watch!
- Scott Disick Gets Close to Another Brunette, Photographed in Booze, Drug-Filled Hotel Room
- Justin Bieber's buddy gets a shark bite during vacation
- Tiger who? Lindsey Vonn turns heads at Grand Prix event
- Ben Affleck returns home alone after Bahamas trip with Jennifer Garner
- Casting Alert! Rachel McAdams Rumored to Star in Marvel's Doctor Strange
- Julia Roberts and Danny Moder Celebrate 13th Wedding Anniversary at George and Amal Clooney's Lake Como Home
- Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick Split After 9 Years: 5 Signs the Couple Was Already on the Rocks