Jerry Springer on Trump: He's 'Flavor of the Month'
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 22nd 2011 06:02PM
"Remember when you were a little kid and a wise guy at the back of the class would shout things out?" Jerry asks. "That's Trump. He makes you laugh and giggle."
The TV legend, 67, tells me that "right now, Trump is enjoyable" and that he's gamely filling the role left by the sudden (and surprising) exit of another media darling. Says Jerry, "Sarah Palin is no longer the flavor of the month, so Trump is."
And though it's early yet in the race for the White House, Jerry -- who was mayor of Cincinnati and nearly ran for the U.S. Senate eight years back -- isn't impressed with the competition so far.
"I don't think any of these people are going to beat Obama," he tells me. "Republicans have overreached. Do we really want a country without Medicare?"
On the flip side, Jerry thinks Obama is doing fine and that his "heart is in the right place."
"He can't get everything he wants with Republicans controlling Congress fighting him," he says. "We have a class war going on at the moment. The powerful are stacking the deck in favor of the rich, which is why the gap is getting wider between the rich and poor."
► Flashback to Last Year: Jerry Springer Defends His Talk Show Guests, Praises Sarah Palin
Jerry backed down from a possible run for the Senate in 2003 partly because of the negative reputation he gets because of his admittedly silly talk show, which first aired in 1991.
For starters, Jerry admits to me that he almost never watches his own show but he's confident of why it's endured and thrived for so long.
"It's so stupid," he says. "Our niche is outrageous, so we are not competing with anyone. We have cornered the market. It's total escapism, where we never pretend to be anything we are not. It's hard to find a job that is this much fun. It keeps me young."
Besides watching his outrageous talk show, be sure to check Jerry out on the game show 'Baggage,' only on GSN.
Jerry Springer Snapshots
NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 13: Jerry Springer (celebrating his 20th year in television) and Steve Wilkos (L) are honored on the wall of fame at The Palm on April 13, 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Glikas/Getty Images)
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Politics -
- TV News -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Pharrell Williams' Music Video for "Come Get It Bae" Features Twerking, Miley Cyrus Cameo: Watch!
- Jack White Did Not Look Happy at the Chicago Cubs Game: See the Viral Picture
- Naya Rivera Married Ryan Dorsey on Her Original Wedding Date to Big Sean, Used Kim Kardashian's Hair Stylist
- Sonja Morgan's New ?Housewives' Role As Casting Director For Season Seven
- Naya Rivera with Husband Ryan Dorsey in Mexico
- Jessa Duggar’s Boyfriend Slams Catholics For Their ‘Deadly Errors,’ Deletes Post After He’s Blasted With Criticism
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC
- Man found dead after disappearing at Jason Aldean concert
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Aviva Drescher Explains Why She Tossed Her Fake Leg at Someone on Real Housewives of New York City
- Eric Decker & Erin Heatherton's Hot Buffalo David Bitton Photo Shoot—Go Behind the Scenes Now!
- Hilary Duff Announces New Single "Chasing the Sun" and Sets an Album Release Date for Fall 2014