Lindsay Lohan Sentenced to 120 Days in Jail
By PopEater Staff Posted Apr 22nd 2011 08:35PM
After reducing Lindsay Lohan's grand theft case from a felony to a misdemeanor following a day of testimony over a reported stolen necklace, Judge Stephanie Sautner determined the actress violated her probation from a 2007 DUI arrest and was sentenced to jail. She was also ordered to complete 480 hours of community service.
Lohan's lawyer, Shawn Holley, immediately filed a notice of appeal and bail was set at $75,000.
As for the case, Judge Sautner decided not to dismiss it altogether but said "I'm going to give her an opportunity" to prove her innocence in a trial.
Deputy District Attorney Danette Meyers called four witnesses to make her case that Lohan should be tried for a felony, including the owner of the store where Lohan is accused of theft.
The actress turned down a pair of plea bargain offers in the necklace theft case recently.
Sofia Kaman, the owner of Kamofie & Co., testified on Friday that Lohan stole a $2,500 necklace from her store on Jan. 22. She told Judge Sautner that Lohan had been coming into the store all week to look at items, but never bought anything. She waited to report the necklace stolen because the actress had said she'd be back in a day to buy something else.
After a police report was filed, authorities reportedly waited until she was photographed wearing the necklace before deciding to pursue charges. A friend of the actress turned the necklace in to the Pacific Division of the LAPD on Feb. 2.
Lohan claims that the necklace was loaned to her -- and that her stylist simply forgot to return it in time. Kaman says she did not have any agreement with Lohan allowing her to leave the store with the necklace.
Lohan's lawyer Shawn Holley and Kaman got testy at times during the hearing. At one point, Holley noted that Lohan was baring a lot of cleavage that day and questioned why Kaman didn't notice the necklace dangling above it.
"I wasn't looking at her chest," Kaman said. "I was looking at her face."
At another point, Holley accused Kaman of profiting off the incident. "Celebrity sells right?" she asked the store owner, according to TMZ. She reportedly replied, "It can." Kaman also denied selling a surveillance tape that was later released.
Judge Sautner warned both Kaman and Holley to be more respectful.
Lohan was officially charged during a hearing on Feb. 9. After pleading not guilty, Judge Keith Schwartz lanced into the actress for not taking the charges seriously. "If you violate the law again, I will remand you with no bail," he told her. "Things will be different."
The actress, who remains on probation in a 2007 drunken driving case, is accused of taking the necklace roughly three weeks after she was released from three months of court-ordered rehab at the Betty Ford Center.
The judge who initially handled the necklace theft case has said he thinks Lohan violated the terms of her release, but has assigned the preliminary hearing to Judge Sautner, who could send Lohan to jail after Friday's hearing if she determines there is enough evidence to support the probation violation.
►Legal Experts Tell PopEater Lindsay Lohan Has a Good Chance at Trial
Lindsay Lohan arriving at court with her lawyer Shawn Chapman Holley in Los Angeles April 22, 2011 X17online.com
MORE ABOUT Lindsay Lohan
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Lindsay Lohan Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Timberlake goes folk in new movie ?Inside Llewyn Davis'
- 'Star Trek' does $70.6M on opening weekend, but falls short of studio's expectations
- Taylor Swift shines at Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes: First Look at Jerry Lewis' Return to Big Screen in 'Max Rose' (Exclusive Video)
- Cannes: Romanian Studio Facilities to Combine Under Moniker 'Solar Studios'
- 'Iron Man 3' Passes $13 Million in Hong Kong; Becomes All-time Third Highest Grossing Film
- ?All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' season finale: And the winner is?
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- ?Game of Thrones': OK Cupid reveals which characters are most compatible
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2
- 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)