Your Cheatin' Heart: LeAnn Rimes Argues a 'Double Standard' for Women
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 25th 2011 06:02PM
LeAnn Rimes is owning up to mistakes she made while falling in love with her now-husband Eddie Cibrian, admitting in a new special airing on the Great American Country station that she "didn't do it the right way." Two marriages went down in flames because of the affair, but even so, the singer accuses her peers in Nashville of having a double standard when it comes to good old fashioned cheatin'.
"[Country music] has such a double standard," she said in 'Backstory: LeAnn Rimes,' which aired Sunday, two days after she quietly married Eddie. "You know, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash and all these guys. God knows what they did back in the day. And if a woman did it, you never were accepted or forgiven. But if it was a guy, it was just their life. ... It's quite interesting to have to navigate those waters as a woman in this business."
Eddie and LeAnn were married Friday night in front of 40 friends and family at a private Malibu ceremony before settling in for a family-filled Easter holiday. She has staunchly defended her relationship, even though it began in 2008 as an extramarital affair on a TV movie set, while both were still wed to their previous spouses (Dean Sheremet and Brandi Glanville).
After all the scandal she's been through, it should be no surprise that LeAnn announced her marriage herself Friday night via Twitter. "Eddie and I are overwhelmed by the amount of lovely well wishes. We are blessed and.... I'm Mrs. Cibrian!!!!!" LeAnn wrote after saying "I Do."
She's had quite a bumpy ride and few could argue that the negative press has surely damaged her career. An insider who has worked with LeAnn tells me she "blames the media a great deal" for amping up her "homewrecker" rep and that she's thrilled to be able to cut out the middle man by announcing news on her own.
MORE ABOUT LeAnn Rimes
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about LeAnn Rimes Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Christian music duo spreads God's message in debut album
- Alec Baldwin returning to TV as a host on Jan. 6 for TCM special
- 'Moonshiners' explain how they evade the law on national TV
- Audio: Paul Walker Dispatch Call Released
- Amanda Bynes: First Pics Back Home
- Paul Walker Death: Two Men Arrested for Allegedly Stealing Burned Porsche Part
- Paris Hilton Slams "Stupid Fake" Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Confusion Tweet
- Jen Arnold Diagnosed With Rare Cancer: Little Couple Star Undergoing Surgery and Chemo
- Kelly Clarkson Talks Pregnancy Morning Sickness on Ellen: "I Vomit a Good Dozen Times a Day"