Michael Douglas Says Catherine Zeta-Jones Was 'Outed' in Bipolar Fight
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 26th 2011 09:05AM
A raspy-voiced Michael Douglas is speaking out about Catherine Zeta-Jones' battle with bipolar II disorder, telling Oprah Winfrey in an interview airing Tuesday that his actress wife's private struggle with depression was cruelly "outed" by the media.
"I must say, Catherine's being quite open about it because she was outed, you know," he said. "She went to go get some help and some other patient probably in there said, 'Hey, you won't believe who's in here now.' And, so, once that happens, I think she felt [it] best to kind of get out the story."
He is referring to the fact that the National Enquirer first reported that Zeta-Jones was in a mental health facility, which then prompted a statement from the actress hours later.
Michael told the talk show queen why she was reluctant at first to talk about her problems.
"My oldest son is in federal prison, my ex-wife is suing me, and I got cancer. It's kind of hard for the wife to say, 'I'm depressed,'" Michael tells Oprah.
Catherine spent a total of five days in a mental health clinic to get help, leading Michael to tell PEOPLE magazine, "It takes a lot of courage to seek help and I am proud of Catherine for doing something positive about her situation. It's onwards and upwards for us."
She added: "This is a disorder that affects millions of people and I am one of them. If my revelation of having bipolar II has encouraged one person to seek help, then it's worth it. There is no need to suffer silently and there is no shame in seeking help."
The actress is already back at work and seemed upbeat in Louisiana, where she is filming with Gerard Butler, Uma Thurman and Jessica Biel.
"Catherine is one of a kind," a friend of the Oscar winner tells me. "Of course the couple hoped that this would remain private, but when it became clear the tabloids were going to expose her private business, the two of them, both Catherine and Michael, couldn't have acted in a more classy manner."
The 'Oprah' interview wasn't all about Catherine, however. Michael also provided a positive update on his health struggles, telling O that so far his cancer has not returned.
"This particular type of cancer has a good record of not coming back," he said. "But it can. So for the first year I've got to go every month and get checked in every three months."
Has he gotten checked out and cleared for this month? "I have. I'm cool."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- CelebRehab -
- Health Issues -
- TV News -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Catherine Zeta-Jones
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Catherine Zeta-Jones Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gym, Tan, Pokey? ?Jersey Shore' star's grand jury ?Situation'
- ?Out of the Furnace' review: Bale, Affleck and Harrelson shine but flick falls short
- The ladies of 'Duck Dynasty' deck the halls
- E! Orders 'Botched' Plastic Surgery Series
- Esquire Network Orders Football Docuseries 'Friday Night Tykes' (Exclusive)
- Disney's 'Dog With a Blog': An Unlikely Guest Crashes the Holiday Party (Exclusive Video)
- Joe Manganiello talks new book ?Evolution,' makes a plea for his male stripper doc, and passes our Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Entertainment Geekly: Now let's cast the rest of the Justice League
- Amy Robach returns to ?Good Morning America' to share details of her breast cancer fight ? VIDEO
- 'Warcraft' Casting: Ben Foster Among Four Actors to Join Video Game Adaptation
- Weekend Movies: 'Inside Llewyn Davis,' 'Out of the Furnace,' & More
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Taps TV Star to Play Anastasia Steele's Stepdad