Michael Douglas Says Catherine Zeta-Jones Was 'Outed' in Bipolar Fight
By Rob Shuter Posted Apr 26th 2011 09:05AM
A raspy-voiced Michael Douglas is speaking out about Catherine Zeta-Jones' battle with bipolar II disorder, telling Oprah Winfrey in an interview airing Tuesday that his actress wife's private struggle with depression was cruelly "outed" by the media.
"I must say, Catherine's being quite open about it because she was outed, you know," he said. "She went to go get some help and some other patient probably in there said, 'Hey, you won't believe who's in here now.' And, so, once that happens, I think she felt [it] best to kind of get out the story."
He is referring to the fact that the National Enquirer first reported that Zeta-Jones was in a mental health facility, which then prompted a statement from the actress hours later.
Michael told the talk show queen why she was reluctant at first to talk about her problems.
"My oldest son is in federal prison, my ex-wife is suing me, and I got cancer. It's kind of hard for the wife to say, 'I'm depressed,'" Michael tells Oprah.
Catherine spent a total of five days in a mental health clinic to get help, leading Michael to tell PEOPLE magazine, "It takes a lot of courage to seek help and I am proud of Catherine for doing something positive about her situation. It's onwards and upwards for us."
She added: "This is a disorder that affects millions of people and I am one of them. If my revelation of having bipolar II has encouraged one person to seek help, then it's worth it. There is no need to suffer silently and there is no shame in seeking help."
The actress is already back at work and seemed upbeat in Louisiana, where she is filming with Gerard Butler, Uma Thurman and Jessica Biel.
"Catherine is one of a kind," a friend of the Oscar winner tells me. "Of course the couple hoped that this would remain private, but when it became clear the tabloids were going to expose her private business, the two of them, both Catherine and Michael, couldn't have acted in a more classy manner."
The 'Oprah' interview wasn't all about Catherine, however. Michael also provided a positive update on his health struggles, telling O that so far his cancer has not returned.
"This particular type of cancer has a good record of not coming back," he said. "But it can. So for the first year I've got to go every month and get checked in every three months."
Has he gotten checked out and cleared for this month? "I have. I'm cool."
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- CelebRehab -
- Health Issues -
- TV News -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Catherine Zeta-Jones
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Catherine Zeta-Jones Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- North Carolina film incentives chopped
- Lauren Bacall leaves $10,000 for her beloved dog in will
- Pam Anderson criticizes ALS ice bucket challenge
- The Cars of 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Drive Film's Hyperrealism
- Box Office Milestone: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Becomes Top Summer Film in U.S.
- 'True Blood' Finale: Stephen Moyer on Whether to "Tie Up the Bill-Sookie Love Knot"
- Watch the first 5 minutes of Lifetime's ?Unauthorized Saved by the Bell' movie
- More adult women play video games than teen boys ? will the industry act accordingly?
- Watch Joe Manganiello and the men of ?La Bare' play Never Have I Ever
- Neal Brennan Gets Frank in His 'Frank' Trailer Review (VIDEO)
- 'Sin City: A Dame to Kill For' Review: Ranking All the Reasons to Kill
- The 7 Greatest HBO Shows of All Time (PHOTOS)