Rachel Maddow: Gay People Have a Responsibility to Come Out
By Christo Varghese Posted Apr 27th 2011 04:00AM
Political reporter Maddow, who is openly gay, was being interviewed by The Guardian when she was asked if she felt any frustration towards an equally well-known news presenter who is widely assumed to be gay but has never come out?
Maddow carefully words her response, "I'm sure other people in the business have considered reasons why they're doing what they're doing, but I do think that if you're gay you have a responsibility to come out."
RadarOnline.com is reporting that it was immediately speculated that Maddow was referring to CNN anchor Anderson Cooper.
However, 38-year-old Maddow took to her blog to say that it was not Cooper she was referring to.
Maddow writes, "I wasn't asked about Anderson Cooper, I didn't say anything about him, he literally was never discussed during the interview at all -- even implicitly. I don't tend to be shy when I criticize -- you wouldn't have to read between the lines if that's what I was trying to do."
She continues, "I did not in my interview with The Guardian say anything about or to Mr. Cooper, nor would I. Although criticism of Mr. Cooper was intimated by The Guardian and picked up everywhere -- I did not make that criticism in the interview, nor did I imply it, nor is it what I believe."
Maddow also wrote about her long held beliefs of people coming out and concludes by saying, "I also believe that coming out makes for a happier life, but that's not a matter of ethics, that's just corny advice."
Maddow is in a long term relationship with her partner, artist Susan Mikula.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress Designer Sarah Burton Gushes on Iconic Gown
- Kendra Wilkinson, Hank Baskett's Costa Rica Vacation Was Just for the Cameras
- Jaime Primak Sullivan: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- ?Teen Mom 2' Battle: Jenelle Evan's Mom Barbara & Baby Daddy Nathan Griffith Get Into ANOTHER Screaming Match: ?If You Hurt My Daughter, I Will Be After You!'
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Niecy Nash Is Joining The Mindy Project as a Lesbian Nemesis and Just…So Much YES
- Gwyneth Paltrow Sees Why Jennifer Lawrence "Is a Good Match" for Chris Martin, She's "Very Happy" for Him
- Brody Jenner Celebrates 31st Birthday With Dave & Buster's DJ Gig, Says Kendall and Kylie Have ''a Very Good Head on Their Shoulders''