Rachel Maddow: Gay People Have a Responsibility to Come Out
By Christo Varghese Posted Apr 27th 2011 04:00AM
Political reporter Maddow, who is openly gay, was being interviewed by The Guardian when she was asked if she felt any frustration towards an equally well-known news presenter who is widely assumed to be gay but has never come out?
Maddow carefully words her response, "I'm sure other people in the business have considered reasons why they're doing what they're doing, but I do think that if you're gay you have a responsibility to come out."
RadarOnline.com is reporting that it was immediately speculated that Maddow was referring to CNN anchor Anderson Cooper.
However, 38-year-old Maddow took to her blog to say that it was not Cooper she was referring to.
Maddow writes, "I wasn't asked about Anderson Cooper, I didn't say anything about him, he literally was never discussed during the interview at all -- even implicitly. I don't tend to be shy when I criticize -- you wouldn't have to read between the lines if that's what I was trying to do."
She continues, "I did not in my interview with The Guardian say anything about or to Mr. Cooper, nor would I. Although criticism of Mr. Cooper was intimated by The Guardian and picked up everywhere -- I did not make that criticism in the interview, nor did I imply it, nor is it what I believe."
Maddow also wrote about her long held beliefs of people coming out and concludes by saying, "I also believe that coming out makes for a happier life, but that's not a matter of ethics, that's just corny advice."
Maddow is in a long term relationship with her partner, artist Susan Mikula.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Blacklist Season 2 Premiere Recap: Red's Back, And So Is Is Wife
- Dancing With the Stars Season 19, Week 2 Recap: Alfonso Ribeiro "Gets Jiggy Wit It"
- Jasmine Tridevil Underwent Surgery To Have Three Breasts; Reporter Quits During Live TV: Top 5 Stories
- Take That Kris! Bruce Files Response To Estranged Wife's Divorce Papers ? READ The Bombshell Documents
- Tim McGraw: My wild night with Kid Rock
- Report: Miss America Kira Kazantsev kicked out of sorority for hazing
- Then/Now: The cast of 'Friends'
- Beyoncé Posts Magical Family Photos After Visiting Paris Cathedral With Jay Z and Blue Ivy—Take a Look!
- Kris Jenner Is All Smiles at Los Angeles Airport After Filing for Divorce From Bruce Jenner
- Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Make Their Voice Debut: Would You Turn Your Chair for These New Judges?