Steven Tyler Was 'Snorting Everything' 3 Years Ago
Aerosmith lead singer turned 'American Idol' judge Steven Tyler struck a candid pose with two magazines this week. The 63-year-old rock star didn't hold back about his renewed image (thanks, 'Idol'!) or his struggles to get sober in interviews with both PEOPLE and Rolling Stone.
"I'm on top of the world. I'm Hollywood's little f***in' sweetheart, basically," Tyler told Rolling Stone. In a cover story for the magazine, Tyler acknowledged that he took the 'Idol' job -- which has proven to be quite the smart career move -- as a response to his bandmates trying to get rid of him.
"F**k yeah. Not to show them, but that I can't be held hostage anymore. I will be my own hostage. The band can't throw me out."
In that same interview, Tyler spoke in rich tones of getting high with another aging rock star, Joe Perry, in 2008 while they were trying to record an Aerosmith album together.
"Joe was high and he couldn't play," he said. "I couldn't sing, really, because I was snorting everything, and it f---- up your throat."
Tyler, who has a long history of hard core partying, has been sober for a year and half now after. He has made eight trips to rehab over the year and told PEOPLE that he's lucky to be alive.
"Left up to my own devices," he said, "I probably would have been dead several times over."
So is Tyler high on anything right now? Just the excitement of 'Idol,' he said.
"If you think going out in front of high-def cameras and millions of people I'm not high on adrenaline, you're crazy." He went on to say, "I'm stoned when that curtain drops," though he clarified, "I just don't snort the curtain dropping. I don't snort J. Lo either, though I do breathe her in."
Tyler also said he could "use next week" but wouldn't because of how proud he is of all his progress.
Tyler's memoir, 'Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?' will be out May 3.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Joey Fatone and Nick Carter are feuding
- Missy describes Uncle Si as 'tenderhearted' and 'a bit crazy'
- Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice discuss 'Jesus Christ Superstar'
- James Franco and other celebs who just can't stand criticism
- This Week on Stage: James Franco dishes, Audra McDonald dazzles (again)
- Is Gwen Stefani a good fit for ?The Voice'? ? POLL
- Coachella 2014: Weekend 2 Sightings! Kendall Jenner, Vanessa Hudgens and Others!
- Prince Releases Surprise Single! Hear It Now
- Is Miley Too Sick to Finish Bangerz Tour? Here's the Latest?