Prince William vs. His Parents: Whose Wedding Got Higher TV Ratings?
By Christine Fenno Posted May 1st 2011 10:02AM
But as the TV ratings come in for the Friday nuptials of their firstborn son, Prince William, there's no question about his enormous popularity in America.
Live coverage on 11 networks (starting 6 a.m. EST, and lasting more than an hour) of William and Kate's wedding at Westminster Abbey drew more than 18.5 million U.S. households, according to Nielson Media Research (via EW.com). Meanwhile, Charles and Diana's wedding drew an estimated household viewership of 14.2 million.
Without question, we like homegrown pomp and circumstance: President Obama's 2009 inauguration drew 28.9 million viewers -- but that event also didn't take place at the crack of dawn.
That means an awful lot of Americans tuned Friday in at 6 a.m. (or even earlier, depending on your time zone) to watch the live wedding of a royal Brit and his bride.
TV ratings for Prince Charles' second wedding, to Camilla Parker Bowles, were much weaker: 3.2 million U.S. households watched coverage of that 2005 event.
The Royal Wedding
In this image taken from video, Britain's Prince William, second left, looks at his bride, Kate Middleton, as they stand at the altar at Westminster Abbey for the Royal Wedding in London on Friday, April, 29, 2011. (AP Photo/APTN) EDITORIAL USE ONLY NO ARCHIVE PHOTO TO BE USED SOLELY TO ILLUSTRATE NEWS REPORTING OR COMMENTARY ON THE FACTS OR EVENTS DEPICTED IN THIS IMAGE
MORE ABOUT Kate Middleton
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kate Middleton Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jim Carrey Apologizes to Family After Posting Photo of Autistic Boy Without Permission
- Kourtney Kardashian Steps Out Amid Scott Disick Drama — and She Looks Good!
- Hilary Duff: I'm "Grateful" for Lizzie McGuire, But It Was "Torturous" at Times to Be Her
- 19 Fourth of July flicks
- Matt Damon shows off ponytail
- Robin Thicke 'embarrassed' by attempts to get Paula Patton back
- Taylor Swift Gets Piggyback Ride From a Shirtless Calvin Harris—See the Adorable Photo
- Andy Samberg Wears a Strange Bubble Suit on Jimmy Kimmel Live, But for a Very Good Reason
- Calvin Harris' First Photo of Taylor Swift on His Instagram Proves He's Smitten With Her—See the Pic!