Lynda Carter: Therapy Should Be Mandatory for New Stars
By Rob Shuter Posted May 2nd 2011 10:06AM
"I think the one thing the Screen Actors Guild should do is, when fame first hits you, that you are required to go to therapy," she told me on my HDNet show on Saturday. "Because everybody loves you. Until you realize, no, they don't really love you. They love the character and the persona. They love that. But you can't get all over yourself."
Lynda, 59, admitted that when she became famous she got a "big head," thinking she was "all that," but after battling alcoholism a few years ago, the actress is back on track.
"It's a burden," she said of fame, before sharing a story about having to wear a disguise when she dropped her son off at college because he was afraid of how other students would react to his superhero mom.
"When my son went to college, [he] said 'you don't have to go with me when I go in.' So I said, 'Oh it's 'The W.' How about I come and I wear a disguise?'" she recalls. "So I went out and bought this great short blonde wig and I walked in and he looked at me and I said, 'good isn't it?' And he said 'yea it's good.' I knew secretly he was delighted. I wore it and not one person recognized me."
On the 'Wonder Woman' reboot, Lynda couldn't be happier with the choice of Adrianne Palicki to play the character that made her famous.
"I don't feel like I'm being replaced," Lynda said. "I feel the story needs to be retold."
To watch my full interview with the TV legend, who has just released a CD 'Crazy Little Things,' a mix of tunes featuring rock, soul, and country music, catch a re-airing of 'Naughty But Nice' Monday or Tuesday at 2:30 PM ET.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Health Issues -
- TV News -
- Videos -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Top News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- George Clooney, Wife Amal Alamuddin Make More Renovations to UK Mansion: See the Gigantic Property!
- Fred Durst Distances Himself From Robert Durst With Hilarious Sweatshirt
- Nicki Minaj, Rumored Boyfriend Meek Mill Get Affectionate Backstage: See the Pictures
- Craig Morgan on MSNBC guest's criticism of country music: Comment was 'ignorant'
- Lena Dunham called anti-Semitic for article titled 'Dog or Jewish Boyfriend?'
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Liv Tyler Makes Red Carpet Debut Just 6 Weeks After Giving Birth to Son Sailor—See the Pics!
- Ludacris Says Paul Walker Jokes Went "Too Far" During Justin Bieber Roast, Reveals He Was "Promised" They'd Be Cut
- Hope Solo Reveals She Entered Therapy to Address ''Pain and Anger'' During 30-Day Suspension From U.S. Soccer Team