Lynda Carter: Therapy Should Be Mandatory for New Stars
By Rob Shuter Posted May 2nd 2011 10:06AM
"I think the one thing the Screen Actors Guild should do is, when fame first hits you, that you are required to go to therapy," she told me on my HDNet show on Saturday. "Because everybody loves you. Until you realize, no, they don't really love you. They love the character and the persona. They love that. But you can't get all over yourself."
Lynda, 59, admitted that when she became famous she got a "big head," thinking she was "all that," but after battling alcoholism a few years ago, the actress is back on track.
"It's a burden," she said of fame, before sharing a story about having to wear a disguise when she dropped her son off at college because he was afraid of how other students would react to his superhero mom.
"When my son went to college, [he] said 'you don't have to go with me when I go in.' So I said, 'Oh it's 'The W.' How about I come and I wear a disguise?'" she recalls. "So I went out and bought this great short blonde wig and I walked in and he looked at me and I said, 'good isn't it?' And he said 'yea it's good.' I knew secretly he was delighted. I wore it and not one person recognized me."
On the 'Wonder Woman' reboot, Lynda couldn't be happier with the choice of Adrianne Palicki to play the character that made her famous.
"I don't feel like I'm being replaced," Lynda said. "I feel the story needs to be retold."
To watch my full interview with the TV legend, who has just released a CD 'Crazy Little Things,' a mix of tunes featuring rock, soul, and country music, catch a re-airing of 'Naughty But Nice' Monday or Tuesday at 2:30 PM ET.
► Follow @NaughtyNiceRob on Twitter!
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Health Issues -
- TV News -
- Videos -
- Interviews -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Top News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Anne Meara, Mother of Ben Stiller, Wife of Jerry Stiller, Dies at 85
- Jenelle Evans Parties With Ex Fiance Nathan Griffith Months After Split: Pic
- Scott Porter Welcomes Baby Son McCoy Lee Porter With Wife Kelsey Mayfield: First Pic!
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- Scott Porter Is "Astounded" By His Wife After She Welcomes a Baby Boy—See Their Child's First Photo!
- Buffy & Willow Reunion! Sarah Michelle Gellar & Alyson Hannigan Are Almost Twinsies—See the Cute Photos!
- Rewind! 10 Best Style Moments From Kimye's Wedding Week One Year Later